Wolfdog.org forum

Wolfdog.org forum (http://www.wolfdog.org/forum/index.php)
-   Living with a CzW.... (http://www.wolfdog.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   where you keep a wolfdog during winter: outdoor or in house. (http://www.wolfdog.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24646)

Tana 11-12-2012 18:41

where you keep a wolfdog during winter: outdoor or in house.
 
I have a 4 months old puppy(a girl )of czechoslovakian wolfdog named Tana. From the beginning (2 months)i kept her outdoor, with other 2 small dogs. She has her cage with a lot of grass inside to keep her warm and a huge garden to play(600 mp). Also i feed her only with raw meat, bones and i give her vitamins(PetPhos Crossance Ca/P=2). I think she is quite well developed until now and i think, during winter, even if it will be very cold, she will do just fine outdoor. I kept during many years the 2 small dogs also outdoor and never got them ill because of that. Anyway when is really very cold i let them sleep in our basement but only during the night. What you usually do during winter when you have a puppy of wolfdog? I imagine, because of wolf heritage, the wolfdog is made for snow and living outdoor. :)

GalomyOak 12-12-2012 00:07

All of my dogs sleep warmly indoors if it is cold or rainy...or warm and clear. They seem to enjoy coming in every night, as much as I enjoy having their company as family members - it is not about the weather but the bonding and companionship we share in our home.

Rona 12-12-2012 01:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tana (Bericht 446902)
I imagine, because of wolf heritage, the wolfdog is made for snow and living outdoor. :)

Because of the wolf heritage, wolfdogs are made to stay with their pack. 8)

Tana 12-12-2012 10:03

Each pack has an hierarchy.The pack is first -the other 2 dogs and second is our family. I do not humanize the dogs, cutting them from nature and looking at them like at my own children. I respect the nature and wilderness in them.Living outdoor keep their natural imunity intact and their senses alert; outdoor they can be what nature intendeed for them to be and can guard our house. They have fur to protect them from harsh winter, claws and theeths to hunt, they are not made to sleep in house and to become lazy. Yes, i agree with sharing their bond between them first and second with us. But the humans are the masters on the evolution scale. The home here is the whole our garden, but the house is strictly our human "den", as they have their own cage. Our house is a place where the dogs come from time to time to play, socialise and interact with us like a favor, but never to sleep or lie down on our sofa. They are never allowed in bed and never allowed to our table. They eat after us and in their place. Because of that they know, when we allow them in house to act nice. :))Like us, each one of them likes to be let alone in his cage, which is their property when are outdoor.

avgrunn 12-12-2012 11:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tana (Bericht 446902)
What you usually do during winter when you have a puppy of wolfdog? I imagine, because of wolf heritage, the wolfdog is made for snow and living outdoor. :)

Mine, when he was a puppy, slept with me in my room in my bed, I never forced him, it was his idea to be close to me and I just didn't mind so it stayed like that, and after almost two years it hasn't change. So it seems that my wolfdog is not really made for living outdoor, sure, he stays outside with other dogs, he plays with them, he guards our house, he likes all that, but he prefers to be close to us, humans.

GalomyOak 12-12-2012 13:02

I can appreciate not "humanizing"...while I am away (at work for instance), my dogs also have their garden, and are allowed to be dogs. I have 6 CSVs, so there is plenty of opportunity for dog socialization. Lol, I'd hardly say mine are lazy...most days after being in the garden we train for some kind of work - tracking, trailing, obedience - as the breed was intended to do as a working dog breed.

Resources such as food are controlled and must be worked for. In this way, the dogs know who is in charge...largely the other parts of "alpha dog" theory have been disproven.

When we are done for the day, mine also don't sleep on the furniture, but do appreciate the comfort of a soft place on the floor to sleep and relax, and know that as their leader, I have provided safety for them...they know what the expectations are for them as dogs in the home, and this transfers to other indoor places when they travel with me, which is often. Lol, I guess if humans lived strictly by nature we would be eating insects and swinging from trees.

tupacs2legs 12-12-2012 13:54

They Are a breed of dog,not pet wolves!

Given the choice mine would rather sleep inside ...even my huskies choose to,just because they can cope with cold weather doesn't mean they want to lol!

Rona 12-12-2012 15:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tana (Bericht 446937)
Each pack has an hierarchy.The pack is first -the other 2 dogs and second is our family. I do not humanize the dogs, cutting them from nature and looking at them like at my own children. I respect the nature and wilderness in them.Living outdoor keep their natural imunity intact and their senses alert; outdoor they can be what nature intendeed for them to be and can guard our house. They have fur to protect them from harsh winter, claws and theeths to hunt, they are not made to sleep in house and to become lazy. Yes, i agree with sharing their bond between them first and second with us. But the humans are the masters on the evolution scale. The home here is the whole our garden, but the house is strictly our human "den", as they have their own cage. Our house is a place where the dogs come from time to time to play, socialise and interact with us like a favor, but never to sleep or lie down on our sofa. They are never allowed in bed and never allowed to our table. They eat after us and in their place. Because of that they know, when we allow them in house to act nice. :))Like us, each one of them likes to be let alone in his cage, which is their property when are outdoor.

Why do you ask if you know the only "corrrect" answer? :p

vila 12-12-2012 18:11

My Veela sleeps with me by my legs in a large bed, like she did since the first day I got her. She knows as well as I do, that any given moment I can assert myself as the alpha, especially indoors. She doesn't have the option of going outside on large gardens, but she gets more than enough daily exercise. I too strongly believe that staying close to pack members is very important and logical to CSVs, regardless of "hierarchy". I also think that the cold is not necessarily the factor for them... I mean i'm certain taht if I chose to sleep in a freezing garage and Veela would have the option to go sleeping in a warm bedroom, she would sleep next to me :)

Rona 12-12-2012 19:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by vila (Bericht 446985)
. I mean i'm certain taht if I chose to sleep in a freezing garage and Veela would have the option to go sleeping in a warm bedroom, she would sleep next to me :)

You touched the very essence of healthy human-vlcak relationship :love

Fede86 12-12-2012 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tana (Bericht 446937)
I respect the nature and wilderness in them.

Well, dogs in general are not "natural" nor "wild", but man-made animals ("domestic" should be the key word).

Apart from that, you can respect the "nature" of your dogs by taking them out for long walks every day so that they can run free, explore, have fun. A garden for them is a little more than an oversized cage, a prison that prevents them from being with you AND also from satisfying their needs by having fun OUTSIDE. Believe me, a garden is boring for a dog. Especially for dogs like the Czechoslovakian wolfdog.

yukidomari 12-12-2012 20:33

my dogs get on the couch, sometimes on the bed, sometimes they eat before, and sometimes after. we share everything and they are well behaved.. when we are outdoors they are outdoors, when we are inside they have that choice too. sometimes my male comes to check on me in the middle of the night (i hear it, but he doesn't touch me or disturb me), it makes me smile. :)

but it seems the original poster wasn't really asking a question anyway?

buidelwolf 12-12-2012 20:47

Quote:

my dogs get on the couch, sometimes on the bed, sometimes they eat before, and sometimes after. we share everything and they are well behaved.. when we are outdoors they are outdoors, when we are inside they have that choice too.
With my dog exactly the same.

A puppy of 4 months in the cold Rumanian winter? Ok, it will well be possible, but I wonder what kind of relationship you build with your dog.

jefta 13-12-2012 22:48

She sleeps with the rest of the dogs? It must be cold alone for so small puppy :|

jmvdwiel 14-12-2012 00:25

My CSW sleeps at the end of the bed, he curls himself into a small round and sleeps beside my feet, in the morning he is always gone , most of the time he is sleeping on the couch at that time :) Alongside with the cats.

My dogs can sleep in the bed but only if they behave and don't steal the blanckets or put their feet in my face. So that we all have a good night rest ;)

I don't think it is nice for a pup to stay outside all by itself :(

Angelika 14-12-2012 00:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by jefta (Bericht 447065)
She sleeps with the rest of the dogs? It must be cold alone for so small puppy :|

I absolutely agree - very, very cold for a small CsW puppy :cry:

deocamdata 21-12-2012 12:51

My CSW has allays been outside.
Last winter was few days with -21 and there was not any kind of problems.
Now together with Karlos (my CSW) also outside I have a Malinois 7 months old.
They sleep separately but during the day they are together and playing all the day ...
So ... my opinion is the the dog is exactly like you grow it ... That doesn't mean that a very small puppy can be left outside in a very cold weather.

Rona 22-12-2012 03:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by deocamdata (Bericht 447437)
My CSW has allays been outside.

So you don't know how much fun you're losing ;-) They are such great room mates! :lol:

AMERICANI 22-12-2012 07:53

where do they sleep?
 
Considering the fact I have 9, I rotate them out. Our winters really have nothing on places like Poland ;) So, the cold really isn't an issue. As far as the consideration of the nature within ourselves. as well as our dogs, the select ones for the time come in, but follow rules. The bond grows so much stronger when you maximize interaction with them. 9 is too many, and 3 are actually select for placing with other families. I don't have kids, don't closely interact with anyone with kids, or (for the moment) intend on having any. I relate my "pack" structure to the military, which is the lifestyle I am most accustomed to. My dogs don't sleep on the bed, they don't beg for food at the table, and they sit until released before welcoming guests or going out. I feel horrible that I can't spend 100% of my time with each one 100% of the time. CsVs are not wolves, but they do have more of the innate requirement to have a role within the pack than most dogs.

Rona 22-12-2012 09:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMERICANI (Bericht 447460)
Considering the fact I have 9, I rotate them out. Our winters really have nothing on places like Poland ;) .

I thought we were talking about vlcaks in Romania? :rock_3

As far as I know, the vast majority of Polish owners keep their vlcaks indoors, and it has nothing to do with climate. We simply enjoy the company of our dogs. They are part of the family/pack :) Of course it doesn't mean the dog should not obey the commands and leave the couch or room every time when told to do so.

BTW I've always found it hard to understand how it was possible that a vlcak escaped from its home/pack. I can imagine this now, after having read how some pups are brought up.:|


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:23.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) Wolfdog.org