Wolfdog.org forum

Wolfdog.org forum (http://www.wolfdog.org/forum/index.php)
-   Sport & training (http://www.wolfdog.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Running training program (http://www.wolfdog.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6948)

elf 29-10-2007 11:10

Running training program

Hello,

We are going to start running regularly with Voltcha (15 months), thanks for your comments/corrections about this training program:

Speed = 12 kms/h

Weeks 1->4: 30min 2x/week
Weeks 5->8: 45min 1x/week ; 30min 1x/week
Weeks 9->12: 45min 2x/week
Weeks 12->16: 45min-1h 2-3x/week

Which changes in alimentation, + 15% ? Addition of some elements ?
Balsam for paws ?
Anything else to think about ?

Thanks

Anthony

hanninadina 29-10-2007 20:15

My friend Miguel is doing CaniCross with his csw female. Please have a look at his homepage www.wolfdogclub.de and you will find - I think - some help how to train. Amie is doing really good pulling him over the race track for about 3 to 6 km. He is member of the spanish national teamChristian

Angelika 29-10-2007 20:20

Hi Anthony,

remember your walk with Voltcha and Furcas; they certainly run more than half an hour - without balsam ;)

Out of curiosity - who speeds 12 km/h? You or your bike?

regards,
Angelika

elf 29-10-2007 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by hanninadina (Bericht 109203)
My friend Miguel is doing CaniCross with his csw female. Please have a look at his homepage www.wolfdogclub.de and you will find - I think - some help how to train. Amie is doing really good pulling him over the race track for about 3 to 6 km. He is member of the spanish national teamChristian

Thanks for the link. I did not success to get the english version.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelika (Bericht 109204)
Out of curiosity - who speeds 12 km/h? You or your bike?

I do :) ... well, I was doing a while ago. I plan a marathon in some months and I would like to do it with Voltcha.

What about running on asphalt ? I think to the paws but it's also rather traumatic for articulations ... simply to avoid ?

Anthony

Angelika 29-10-2007 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by elf (Bericht 109209)
I do :) ... well, I was doing a while ago. I plan a marathon in some months and I would like to do it with Voltcha.

BRAVO!!!

My dogs run 6-7 km on asphalt (and I cycle :oops:) - no problems.

Botis ran 100 km on asphalt (did you see the pic of him and Przemek?) and his paws were all right.

Voltcha is a C S W :lol::lol::lol:

regards,
Angelika

elf 30-10-2007 19:54

We began our first session this afternoon, as guessed it seemed rather easy to her. It was very plesant, nothing compare running alone, we share one more thing together.

I bet someone won't annoy me tonight ;)

Anthony

http://ametiste.ifrance.com/after_run.JPG

elf 31-10-2007 12:58

I guess the point would be: how to make her not getting bored after running one hour or more ?

Anthony

Angelika 31-10-2007 22:19

What about talking to her (if you have enough breath - grin)?

cheers
Angelika

Rona 31-10-2007 23:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by elf (Bericht 109393)
I guess the point would be: how to make her not getting bored after running one hour or more ?

Maybe a treat (piece her favourable food) attached to the bike? ;-)

elf 01-11-2007 04:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rona (Bericht 109454)
Maybe a treat (piece her favourable food) attached to the bike? ;-)

Something alive should do the trick ;)

Is there SVP1-3 organized in France ?

Rona 01-11-2007 11:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by elf (Bericht 109464)
Something alive should do the trick ;)

As far as I know Cheitan enjoys running in the company of other wolfdogs... :lol:

elf 01-11-2007 18:18

http://ametiste.ifrance.com/run/run1.JPG

http://ametiste.ifrance.com/run/run2.JPG

http://ametiste.ifrance.com/run/run3.JPG

saschia 01-11-2007 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by elf (Bericht 109393)

Well, I managed to make 75 km with my previous wolfdog during the 100 km race, and we didn't train much before. We finished soon because I couldn't continue, Kei was happy to do whatever I decided. I guess just running with the owner is a good thing for wolfdog (if it is not running for hours on small circles - now that's quite boring). But on a long track, even if you go for the second time, the wolfdogs think it strange but not stupid yet. If you have a good partnership, then just being together is a reward enough. Just running is very easy for wolfdog. Other thing would be if you went running along playing dogs all the time, you know, things which attract.

But the togetherness is very important for wolfdogs. When I go for a walk in the wood, Frei runs around, snifs a lot, digs, rolls over and so on. If I go running at the same place, she is running along, sniffing from time to time, but not digging and rolling. And she is not lookoing as if she misses the things. She usually does the things because it takes me too long during normal walk to go along.

elf 01-11-2007 19:59

Ok, my track must be too short, it's a 3kms track in the wood. After the first loop she seems a little bored and does not run the same: she is no more ahead but behind or on my side and seems to prefer sniffing.

saschia 01-11-2007 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by elf (Bericht 109555)
Ok, my track must be too short, it's a 3kms track in the wood. After the first loop she seems a little bored and does not run the same: she is no more ahead but behind or on my side and seems to prefer sniffing.

Yeah, that's quite short. When I do some running occasionaly, I have a 5-km round and I do it only once. For training on bike I found a 12-km track (quite up-and downhill) and that is also only once (mostly due to time and stamina reasons - I cannot do more). I think doing a track more than twice starts to get boring also for human.

elf 12-11-2007 14:53

I trained on a long track, no loop, again she seems bored after 20 min, motivation problem :(. I'm sure she's not tired, I saw her running really crazy 2h with Furcas. With food she stays close to me and only think to eat, a running stomach. I don't have the opportunity to run with another dog to motivate her ... does someone have other tricks for us ?

elf 12-11-2007 15:05

Here is the unmotivated girl chasing me, maybe I should do the prey:

http://ametiste.ifrance.com/BSM2/5.JPG

saschia 12-11-2007 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by elf (Bericht 110797)
Here is the unmotivated girl chasing me, maybe I should do the prey

You lucky guy, I get it only from behind (me being behind my Frei, which is stalking other dogs when they are still far away).

The motivation is of course a kind of problem, but this is the reason why I consider this trial as a working trial. It is not only fun.

You should, in my opinion, make sure that the dog understands that that is what you are going to do, even if she is getting bored. I would, in your place, start talking to her as soon as she starts making signs she would like to stop doing this and do something else... Give her command, like "Forward" or "Run on" or whatever, and praise her if she does what you want her to do. First, give her something good after two or three praising, later give more praising and food only in lonegr intervals. Maybe stop running and play with her after certain period - after 30 mins from starts, then 40 in couple of days. So that she knows, that now you are doing this, because you want to, and then she gets good reward for being an obedient girl.

How old is she? You also have to consider the attention span which a young dog can have. As you wouldn't spend working for whole hour at a military or tracking training, without giving rest periods for play and rest, so you cannot do everything at once with running.

Juniorwolf 20-02-2008 17:06

run

I just started training for SVP1(40km) with Uno by method mentioned by Elf in another Thread and have some questions about the exam :

Must the dog run in front of the owner or is it okey if the dog run next to the owner ?

Must the dog run in "gallop" or must it run in "trot" ...or is both paces okey(I am not sure if I used the right terms, but hope that you will understand what I mean anyway) ?

Greetings Rolf

Kerstin 20-02-2008 23:26

Hello Rolf,

the dog can run next you and he is allowed to trot, to pace and to gallop-all movements/speeds are fine.
You will find out really quick what speed/which movement is most comfortable for your dog. See you :)

Regards,
Kerstin