Wolfdog.org forum

Wolfdog.org forum (http://www.wolfdog.org/forum/index.php)
-   Health and nutrition (http://www.wolfdog.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   advice please (http://www.wolfdog.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10963)

tupacs2legs 29-04-2009 15:45

advice please

hi does anyone have any information and/or advice on hygromas in csv i know it is a large breed problem but does anyone have any experience with csv's and hygromas? my five month puppy has them on his elbows already! regards from london

massimo 30-04-2009 00:05

I cannot give you advice but share personal experience.
My first experience with Hygromas (liquid under the elbows) was with my dog Lunatica Crying Wolf.
She had them on both elbows.
I made the great mistake to let my vet take the liquid out with syringe on one of the elbow.
It returned worst than before
I took away liquid again... again it returned.
At 1 year old, considering she is small, the elbow i took liquid from bacame very bad, so I decided to operate her and take a way the small cushion which is under the elbow.
It resulted perfectly and never had problems since.
on the other elbow, the one I never took liquid away from and which was never touched... the hygroma disappeared with time.
I spoke to several people and all confirmed same behaviour.
What would I do if it happened again? leave it, let it be, till 1 year or 15 months, then if necessary directly operate and take the "cushion" off
Massimo

Mikael 30-04-2009 00:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by tupacs2legs (Bericht 208730)
hi does anyone have any information and/or advice on hygromas in csv i know it is a large breed problem but does anyone have any experience with csv's and hygromas? my five month puppy has them on his elbows already! regards from london

Hello, sad to hear that your puppy is not healthy :(

Have you contact the breeder of this puppy ???

Is it a pure pedigree CsV ??? have you contacted the other puppy buyers,
to se if there is others that has the same problems ???

I do not know about how common it might be on the CsV breed, or if / how hereditary it is, maybe someone knows and can school us...

Best regards / Mikael

michaelundinaeichhorn 30-04-2009 06:53

Hygromas result out of mechanic trauma of this region in younger dogs of bigger breeds and are not genetic. Aspiration mostly gives the results Massimo wrote of and the risk of bacterial infection. In my experience it is best to sew two cussions into the arms of a shirt and let the dog wear that shirt for a while to avoid former trauma. In most cases they dissapear by themselve when the dog gets older and/or the traumatic reason dissapears.
Surgery has a big risc of not healing sutures and ifektion and should only be used in very few cases.

Hanka 30-04-2009 10:05

Like this?
http://www.wolfdog.org/drupal/en/gallery/pic/43528/

Czech breedcomission knows about 10 dogs with it. There are dogs with one family too (son and father)......

solowolf 01-05-2009 02:12

Quote:

Hi Layla, has your dog taken a knock? is the condition in both legs? you have huskies and other dogs as well maybe it was hurt by one of the others? did you read up on CSV before buying? did breeder not give advise on rearing a CSV? You told this breeder I refused to sell you a CVS, and I advised the breeder that i refused to sell you wolfdog as you already had to many dogs , and that it would be impossable to give a CVS the time and attension it needed, I have seen a lot of this litter and they are all o.k., so in all probability your dog has suffered a knock, it can also be caused by over excersing a fast growing young dog, going up and down stairs, there are lots of things can cause it, draining the fluid can be done but it is not a cure and may cause infection if repeatedly drained, pressure bandage can also be used but again this can push fluid to lower and upper leg, rest the dog cut down on excercise, it looks terrible but this is not a painful problem for the dog. i hope your wolfdog recovers quickly..paul winder

mijke 01-05-2009 21:48

I did see this "problem" with several young wolfdogs!
And in most of these cases the owners did have a stone floor. Sometimes it was helpfull to give the dog `soft` places to lay down.
And in all the cases I know, it did dissapear by themselve when the dog did become older.

wera 04-05-2009 22:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanka (Bericht 208918)
Like this?
http://www.wolfdog.org/drupal/en/gallery/pic/43528/

Czech breedcomission knows about 10 dogs with it. There are dogs with one family too (son and father)......

aslan yes it had and it was even worse after puncturing at the vet. in the worst of times, it was golf ball size.
we have him then a homeopatischen middle ( myosotic from Heel), and soft seats, and thus it was better.
after a year, it was gone.

Hanka 05-05-2009 09:36

hello Wera, I used AslanĀ“s picture only as "ilustration picture" (if it is right what I mean), I couldĀ“not see some other picture in this moment.
So maybe he had some similar problem, injury, etc........
bye Hanka

freewild 05-05-2009 12:11

Quote:

hi i had actualy with my wolfdog some hygromat

in fact it depend here tehy live here they sleep

and it depend of the mass of bones and the maniere the dog of which lies down it is the repetition of blow at the level of elbows

on breeders of irish said me that :
Then for the hygromas - milifica 5 ch and arnica 5 ch, 3 cachets of every mornings and evening, to give all tube, then to arreter 15 days and begins again if need, + to put some contuzyl salve in the morning and evening.

here the small inforamtion than a have :=)

wera 06-05-2009 06:28

@ hanka
this is ok really you see it too well on the photo. aslan did it because of my Dogue de Bordeaux in the love to play in the elbow tweaks.