Thread: Testicles
View Single Post
Old 16-01-2005, 22:45   #19
utelover

Default testicles

Hi there Bugle, Cryptorchidism (C) is something I've been involved in and I've just spent three months researching. I have loads of bumpf on it that I can e-mail to you if you like. From all the research documents I've got it would seem your vet has definately got it wrong. There is no way of knowing whether it is your dog or your bitch who carries the gene as there is no genetic test available to distinguish who carries. There a few few ways of narrowing it down though, i.e. researching lines your dogs come from and checking if any C's have been produced throughout. The only other way is to breed test both with other mates clear of the C gene (i.e. no history of it occurring) by checking father, grandfathers and brothers to see if any are affected. Some of the research can be a little mindblowing as some says that both parents must carry in order for a C or C's to be produced, others say that both genes can be carried by one parent, but in either case most research states that at least 25% of males born would be affected and that a percentage of females will be carriers. Most research shows that to be a C or a carrier of C, there must be some evidence of it recurring in either of the dogs lines. But note, iIt may skip a generation and not all dogs are affected. In one study case there were 3 males two entire (both testicles present) dogs and one C, their, father and grandfather were C. One entire brother produced, all C male pups, yet the other entire brother produced entire males?? but females carriers?. Yet in another breed with no record of the condition at all, a C appeared this was described as a congenital defect. As I've said the research is extensive but I'm happy to forward it to you.

As long as you can research all dogs related to your dam, sire to ensure it's not a reccurring problem, you should try using your bitch again, but try her and the dog with other mates (obviously ones clear of the condition). She shouldn't be damned for this as it's not proven until several matings have been tried.

Hope this helps
utelover jest offline   Reply With Quote