View Single Post
Old 28-02-2010, 17:33   #4
Gypsy Wolf

Thanks so much for your input ~ I guess I am kind of "old school" when it comes to socializing vs immunity... my early mentors insisted exposing puppies early and sort of took the stance that if their immune system couldn't handle it, perhaps they shouldn't be part of the gene pool. Of course, this was with breeds like GSDs and Malinois who have higher numbers and a bigger gene pool...
I also have conflicting input on vaccinations - some insist 2 week windows, others 3 and still others say every 4 weeks is best - the fewer shots, the better. I have decided to do every 2 and a half weeks - I am too afraid of stretching it all the way to 4. So Luna's vaccines are arriving in the mail early next week.
Living in FL the risk of disease I think is perhaps higher than in other places as we do not have cold weather to kill off "bugs" and as a dog trainer, I really put any dog at risk as I am dealing with them all day. Usually, though, my students are healthy - luckily I don't work in a Vet's office anymore where taking care of sick dogs is the job and no matter how much you try to disinfect yourself, you are going to bring something home... I started spritzing myself with anti-parvo disinfectant before I come inside, but I still think there is risk...
So she will get immune-boosting supplements, good food and I will be selective where I take her. I just want to make sure I do all I can to foster her confidence and boldness.
Gypsy Wolf jest offline   Reply With Quote