View Single Post
Old 02-09-2010, 10:39   #5
z Peronówki
VIP Member

Send a message via MSN to z Peronówki Send a message via Skype™ to z Peronówki

It is one of "my" favourite topics as for many years our Polish dogs were blamed by some breeders from the origin countries for having "short coat"... No wonder - they really had short coat expecially when we presented them in the winter... The reason is not the genetic but the adaptation to the conditions... While (for example) the Czech dogs were sleeping in the kennels by -25° our dogs were spleeping at home by +25°. No wonder there was visible difference in the coat... But it is not possible to explain it - some breeders do not get it because forthem it is still unimaginable that a dog can sleep at home.....

The adaptation to the conditions have VERY big influence on the coat. You can judge it only if you know where the dog is living. Because as I wrote - especially in the winter the difference can be huge.

BUT - you are right. There are dogs with (too) short coat. It is visible expecially now because there are some popular (nice) stud dog which unfortunately "give" VERY short coat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
Is it "revertable", if for exemple the dog stay outside in a cold winter (i.e. epigenetics transmisson) ?
That the difference between standard and short coat. We made an experiment with Botis. He was the one of the 'coutch' dogs "blamed" for having short coat. He stayed for the whole winter in the kennel - believe me: I saw only few dog having so nice - long and thick - coat like him.

But there are dogs which have the same lenght of hair for the whole year. For sure you saw dogs which coat do not change. I saw some of such dogs in every country - if you put them into the kennels in the winter they will not get longer "wolfish" coat. They will be always shortcoated. But the quality of the coat will change - it will be VERY thick.

'Z PERONÓWKI'
FACEBOOK GROUP
z Peronówki jest offline   Reply With Quote