View Single Post
Old 24-01-2005, 02:05   #4
Dharkwolf

Send a message via ICQ to Dharkwolf Send a message via MSN to Dharkwolf Send a message via Skype™ to Dharkwolf

Hello there, this is a trick question, on two counts.

First, a few years back there was a reclassification which resulted in the former canis familiaris becoming canis lupus familiaris which means that technically there are currently no animals classed as canis familiaris.

This could be sorted out somehow, by getting people up to date, however, there is a further issue as to the actual classification of the dog. This comes from the Saarloos world because officially Saarloos (though this is second hand information I'm going by, it does seem to make sense) are actually canis lupus familiaris x canis lupus lupus. Thus some officials argue that all wolfdogs are actually not canis lupus familiaris but rather a cross ie: canis lupus familiaris x canis lupus lupus. There is a problem here, with definitions really. All dogs originated as wolves, but they are no longer considered wolves, so the question is after how many generations (or whatever criteria applies) is a line of animals where a dog was crossed with a wolf considered again a line of dogs, rather than a line of dogs crossed with wolves.

I realise slarman that this might not be able to help you out very much, but I hope that at least it will let you understand where the problem lies. What is the classification of Czechoslovakian wolfdogs? To my knowledge they have never been formally classified, though perhaps someone might correct my mistake.
Dharkwolf jest offline   Reply With Quote