Thread: Utonagan
View Single Post
Old 16-01-2005, 20:52   #13
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margo
I'm not so sure about Armin, but his children with Lupina (all three Mutaras) are Utonagans for 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelundinaeichhorn
To me it is very obvious that at least one or even a few Saarloos-Wolfdogs (not CWDs) were used to create this type of dog.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Lupina been claimed to be a Canadian wolf? If Mutaras look like Untonagans then either the Utanagans do have wolf's blood but the breeders try to conceal it for obvious reasons, or the Mutaras have nothing of a wolf and their mother is a sort of Utonagan mix...

Quote:
The other question is,why does anybody want to create a type of dog out these three working breeds.
Just for the looks,just for monetary reasons,just for an idea ?
A good question! I think Dharkwolf is right:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharkwolf
wolves sell. Lots of people seem to feel a strong empathy with wolves for some reason. Though unfortunatly many of them have little to no idea of what wolves are really like.
I can think of a few more reasons: some want to show off, impress their neighbours or friends, feel more macho-like - the "Me and My Wolf" sort of attitude , etc., etc. And of course, there are also true wolf lovers who treat the dogs as imperfect substitutes for wolves which they cannot breed... They're watching their dogs and dreaming of wolves...

What really suprises me is the marketing slogan: "We are an alternative to all other wolf like breeds"- there is more to a wolf, a Sarloos, a CWD and probably even to an Utonagan than looks!
Maybe "We are an alternative to wolves" would be fairer and... more effective?
Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote