Thread: czw puppy
View Single Post
Old 19-04-2011, 00:11   #28
Tassle

I apologise for the two responses.

I was talking about this

Quote:
And about alpha roll..i use it only for hard corrections if "no!" doesnt work and other soft corrections
It is not a method I agree with I'm afraid, people trying to behave like other dogs does not work IME. We cannot hope to recreate what any dog will do to another due to the interactions between them we are not aware of and the body language that we cannot hope to recreate (Physical differences)

I understand some behaviours have to be stopped, chewing dangerous items for example. In this instance I tend to use distraction or diversion, and then set the situation up so the puppy cannot do the action again or does not want to.

One of the worst things you can do to your dog is ignore him, so separation periods can be useful. Puppies do not like being separated, so if the puppy is biting or getting too over the top, I will remove myself form the situation or remove th puppy. Often these occur when the puppy is over tired and they do not know how to switch off. These times can often be predicted, (later evenings or after meals) and so you can be prepared to give the puppy a better way of releasing the tension. Having a special chew or toy to chew that is only produced at these times.

I am aware that dog training methods vary in different countries. These are my own views based on my own training and experience as a trainer.
Tassle jest offline   Reply With Quote