View Single Post
Old 17-05-2011, 12:56   #5
draggar

Having met with the FLA (Florida Lupine Association) there is a TON of misinformation out there in regards to wolf-hybrids, wolfdogs, and (in an extended sense) vlcaks and saarloos.

For those of us in the USA since we only have a handful of vlcak owners (and I think no saarloos?) it may not be a bad idea to reach out to wolf-hybrid / wolfdog clubs to work with them (about temperament, living with them, etc..). After meeting with the FLA we think Luna and Pollux are far more wolfier than we did think before (many of their traits we though were just annoying puppy traits but many turn out to be wolf-traits).

Some of the wolf-hybrids at the club were about 50% (some were first generation hybrids) and they are VERY wolfy in temperament (skittish, alert, etc..).
As for the article I have to disagree with a lot of it and a lot of it seems to be assumptions. The average vlcak is what, around 30% wolf? That would make them a low content according to the article and should look and act like a GSD. I'll let the author live with Pollux for a few days and they'll quickly rewrite the article. I think the wolf genetics are dominant so even lower content hybrids will show a lot of the wolfy characteristics.
draggar jest offline   Reply With Quote