View Single Post
Old 11-08-2011, 23:35   #1
Gypsy Wolf

Default "Self-Cleansing" Coat

I remember reading somewhere that Vlcaks do not need baths (unless, of course, they roll in something gross) as they do not "smell" or have an "oil" that builds up in their coat.
Just recently, I also was reading something about the wolf coat (in a book by Dr. Roger Abrantes) that it is "self-cleansing" and they do not smell (otherwise prey would be alerted).
In my experience, neither Luna nor Pollux (when he lived with us), ever NEEDED a bath - well, except for the time Pollux rolled in septic sludge... Their coats are different - whether it is the bloodlines or gender - Pollux had less undercoat than Luna.
As I manually inspect Luna's skin when I groom her, I notice she produces a very finely textured "powder" (I guess it is her dander) that self-cleans her coat. It is not noticeable except that I can feel a slight reside of it on my finger tips. There is no smell and no oil that I have ever felt in her haircoat. It sort of reminds me of the "powder" that a Cockatoo produces to keep it's feathers clean, though there is never any evidence of the dander Luna produces in brushes or bedding like you might see Cockatoo "dust" in the bottom of their cage.
I never felt the same powder grooming Pollux - his coat always felt squeaky-clean like he had just been bathed, but perhaps as he had no undercoat to hold the dander in, it shed out?
Would love to know of others' experience with this unique vlcak trait...
Gypsy Wolf jest offline   Reply With Quote