View Single Post
Old 27-08-2005, 01:52   #22
Star II

Default Research

You need to do a lot of research and reading, most of your posts here have already been addressed many times (in the forum and in articles), and your hastily thrown out information about Hybrids is inaccurate. I know because I have owned a high content (95%+ Wolf Blood) Eastern Timberwolf x German Sheperd.

Hybrids have no more of a biting problem than any dog. In fact they are beautiful creatures, but act almost nothing like a domestic dog does. They are far smarter than any dog I have ever been around, which presents very interesting challenges for training (since they only like to do things on their own terms). Also, a Hybrid (particularly with greater than 50% Wolf Blood) will never be fully socialized. My experience is that they become extremely comfortable around you and your family (who they see as their pack), but will always be on edge when visitors are on your property.

In the wild Wolves are agressive only when hunting, they're defense mechanism is flight over fight (this is evident if you ever handle a Hybrid, try taking him/her to a dog park and it is almost a certainty it will be cautious of other animals and run if approached). In other words they will only bite for one of two reasons: either if they are put in an extremely uncomfortable situation with no escape route, or if they view their target as prey. The latter would never happen to a Hybrid who is raised properly and is around children and other animals from a young age. And the former would only happen if the owner/handler doesn't know what he's doing (I've seen this, where people introduce animals on leash and won't allow the animal to run if they want to).

Most wolf bites probably come from people who say what you're saying (which is a dangerous attitude): I like the appearance of a wolf, so I want to own one. In reality a Hybrid can make an excellent pet for a very rare person, but most would hate owning one.
Star II jest offline   Reply With Quote