View Single Post
Old 01-10-2011, 04:11   #19
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak

In the US, we use the following terms:

Trial = Obedience, Schutzhund (all parts)
Test = Tracking (AKC), Canine Good Citizen (Character test)

A character test is very short, and I agree, it doesn't necessarily show the drive of the dog (or rather, it maybe trained or misinterpreted). Also, I agree that not all dogs need/should be trained in protection. Also I agree that "sport" dogs maybe totally different than what a handler desires, even in protection - working more from a prey drive than defense, and maybe not as serious or "sleeve happy" (only wanting to bite a sleeve).

We are in a position now of introducing our breed to the AKC. We have requested to join the "Working" group (instead of herding) - AKC also plans to "realign" it's groups, and the working group will be split into 3 - spitz/northern, mollesar and working utility. We hope to be included in "working utility", which includes multi-purpose breeds with a variety of jobs, from a variety of background. AKC wants to know what kind of work/tests/trials we plan to breed, train and compete towards. It is kind of a neat thing to be able to create exactly what we want in terms of tests or trials...but also very important to be headed in the right direction!

I think a CSV specific trial should maybe look like:

Part 1: Obedience
Part 2: Natural tracking/trailing (AKC tracking is a "hybrid" of IPO and trailing - the dog must take all corners, but may "cast" off of the trail very far - there are no points given, only a "pass" (if the scent article is found), or a "fail" - in more advanced levels, the track is 3-5 hours old, much longer, obstacles such as water, and more scent articles. We also have a tracking test for urban/city environments. A test for CSV might focus more on a faster time, and less on "exactness" of following the tracks - more like trailing.
Part 3: Endurance (something like SVP, but also maybe something else - dependent upon local terrain - like a course through mountain trails, for instance)

Optional test (sort of like an FH or AD in schutzhund): Protection

Seperate Character test (or maybe mandatory to participate in the :
a. test specific to the CSV (I look forward to seeing Wolfin's new test that she referred to!) - this should be included with bonitation
b. minimum - Canine Good Citizen test (to ensure civility of the dog in public situations)

At least in the USA, it is possible to compete in many sports, including tracking, obedience, agility, rally obedience, dock diving, therapy work, nosework (scent detection) - and since recently, an aptitude test for lure-coursing and herding - for all breeds. So I don't think it should be a problem for anyone who wishes to try and (or all!) of these.

I have already sent the AKC these videos:
http://www.swr.de/im-gruenen-rp/-/id=100810/did=5436364/pv=video/nid=100810/4meu2n/index.html