View Single Post
Old 24-08-2009, 17:53   #30
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariduzz View Post
for now it would seem that (beginning from the displasia o grades c), for the Italian right, in absence of information from the breeder the buyer that discovers to have a displasic dog have the right to partially get back the paid price for the pup.
Well, the issue is very interesting, but to me seems much more complicated. I have some doubts and questions (without easy answers):
What if the breeder matches two CSVs with A or B results (or A/B) and the pup gets C or worse just because the lines of both parents were "contaminated" with poor HD genes? (e.g. like in the case mentioned earlier). Should the breeder be claimed responsible if a pup got a bad HD result? If yes - to how many generations back were it to be traced? Besides, how could the owner prove it was the breeder's fault and not his own, or just bad luck?

Might not in court the breeder act ignorant of the ancestors' HD results? Wolfdog.org is not an official site and the breeders have no obligation to check the dogs HD results here. Are there in your countries any formal registers, consultation of which should/could be made obligatory before the match is approved by the authorities?

Is in any country's legal system knowlege on genetics required from the breeder? If not, don't you guys think it should be codified by FCI that everybody who wants to register a kennel should take a course and/or pass exam in basic genetics? I would also add an exam in elementary ethics and commercial law. Not to secure ethical behaviour of the breeders (I'm not naive), but so that they could not claim later that they didn't know what was ethical/legal and what wasn't!

Every potential buyer has a great chance here, on this site, to find information about the breed, particular dogs, etc. But still, some basic knowledge about dogs and breeding is needed to be able to understand what he/she reads. Some busy people do not have spare time/energy to invest into such research (or dont even realize how important it is) and get talked into buying 'high-risk' pups. Who is to be blamed if a person gets a pup prone to develop HD (or other illness which could be anticipated if the breeder was honest and knowledgeable) and his only fault was that he trusted a nice person who introduced himself as a 'breed expert'?

And last, but not least... Even the most honest, ethical and knowledgeable breeder can make a mistake. Breeders in a way play God, and every match and litter carries risk. Despit all the good will, responsibility, caution, etc. the faulty gene combination may occur all of a sudden or other factors can appear. I wonder how many breeders in your countries are insured against such cases and if insurance systems for breeders exist at all.

Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote