View Single Post
Old 06-02-2009, 00:52   #21
Sona_Bognarova

Hm, folks, there is no need to guess or contact any ministry about importation requirement information, every requirement is publicly available on the website I mentioned before. Actually, I can't see importation from UK to Australia any easier than from many other European countries, they are all listed there - considered as not rabies free but keeping rabies under control, thus eligible for 30 days quarantine. And don't be mistaken, 30 days quarantine is obligatory minimum, applicable on ANY dog, pure blood or cross, does not matter and there is NO CHOICE to avoid it unless it is a dog of a special purpose. And yes, it is very difficult travel even for a human, I must agree with that, the flight from Europe may be above 30 hours, including the time spent in transit. Moreover, the kennel is sealed and the animal MUST NOT be released before arrival to final destination. Furthermore, age limits etc. So, I think the new owner must be first well educated about CSW, second skilled and patient enough to help the dog to overcome a stressful importation experience. That is one of the reasons I would like new owners here to keep in touch to be able to help each other with at least advice. One of other reasons is to establish a good breeding group, not easy at all. I don't know what Nebulosa means by "bad" dogs sent from the countries of origin, so I speak just in general - when making your choice for a CSW imported from Europe to Australia (or elsewhere) it is of paramount importance to focus not only on appearance but on the breeding compatibility (if you intend to breed or show your dog) with other individuals imported here. If this co-operation does not happen it may result in quite isolation of new owners in this big country, maybe even in mixing CSW with whatever around, as it happened many times already in other countries. As for the dog choice - Nebulosa, I am sorry you have bad experience, but there is definitely nothing like "the best litter of the year". Mostly breeders and CSW clubs are doing there best to achieve excellent results and yet there is no warranty that your puppy will be a world champion once. On the other hand, even "very good" dogs might be very important for the breeding. I agree also with Saschia, importing the dogs that have passed the bonitation and Xray would be the safest way, and the most expensive at the same time, due to an animal value.
As for the Australian climate, yes, I worried about that too but as I see, breeds like alaskan malamutes, siberian huskies, samoyeds and other are nothing rare here and they are able to cope with it. Well, when there is over 40, everyone is "dead fish".
To summarise it, it is important to know as much about CSW as possible, get as precise information about its importation as possible, to arrange the travel very well and the rest is "just a game" - you can find plenty of information how "easy" that game is, with plenty of stories here, ji, CSW are beasts, but beautiful, interesting, adorable and challenging beasts!!!!
Sona_Bognarova jest offline   Reply With Quote