Thread: wolf percentage
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2008, 16:02   #58
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikaani View Post
i think we have gone a bit if topic here/ it was only how dilouted the wolf blood percentage would be after severall generations, to help convince local council about them, but as usual it seems to have moved on to havin a go at people and not the designated topic, im graitfull for all the help but if people wish to discuse sertain kenals and there practacise please start youe own topics on the subject. thank you
With my last post, I hoped to end the possible discussion, or arguments of breeding practices of "certain kennels", that I unintentionally started. That road has already been traveled down, I believe.

I think I was trying to express my fear... the day when someone, maybe a little further down the road, thinks it wise to register their "mix" that looks very much like a CSV, in the CSV registry in their country, and begins breeding it in. This is possible in the US with the AKC, I don't know about elsewhere...after 3 generations of breeding "look - alikes", the puppies can breed and compete as a member of the breed, even with an incomplete pedigree 3 generations back. At this point, who knows what the "percentage of wolfblood" is? I think Americans would be very likely to look to the UK for dogs, since there are no language barriers. Paul claims he has already sent some here. The UK, as an owner in the US, is a place I watch closely, as it may impact my life eventually.

Initially, I was very supportive of the UK efforts of people I saw on this site. I think our US government has a history of looking to the UK government when it comes to many affairs; it could be beneficial to us one day for DEFRA to have a level of agreement, familiarity and comfort with the breed, and those that promulgate it within the UK, in the event the US government or special interest groups decide to question the breed, which has not happened here yet, thankfully.

I am still very supportive of anyone that breeds or owns these dogs with only the best intentions of protecting the breed in the UK, and fights for it's status. But when it becomes apparent that there are examples of UK CSV breeders, or American breeders (none...yet), or anywhere else, that also plan mixed litters besides their advertised CSV litters - with wolves, other dog breeds, wolfdog "hybrids" - changing the "low percentage of wolf blood" in addition to all other factors...that poses the potential to harm the integrity of the breed...genetically, and in terms of decades of selective breeding practice...and is also a part of this thread of debate over what our dogs are comprised of.

It is difficult to be supportive of breeders who advocate for the breed and create mixes, which are the only UK examples I have seen on this site, other than you, Tikaani, who only own a CSV, and have not bred. Should you do so, I hope you do so with wonderful intentions. This thread was started, I believe, with the purpose of evaluating "how much wolf blood is in our dogs" not just out of curiosity, but for the purpose of finding a convincing argument for UK's DEFRA of how low it is. It is impossible to look at this question when it is seen that the two sides of this dichotomy of purebred and mixed breed are trying to be intertwined in several instances by some of the UK members on this site - as advertised on their websites. I don't believe the original founders of this breed argued before the FCI percentages of wolf blood to call their creation a dog breed, but rather standardization and usefulness of the breed - which is maintained through breeding practices.
GalomyOak jest offline   Reply With Quote