Thread: Working Kennels
View Single Post
Old 13-05-2010, 12:35   #22
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak

I think I can see my own comparison in Bongo. We are training with a Schutzhund group (mostly just for fun - it's free, and I enjoy the positive reinforcement techniques my instructor emphasizes - Bongo thinks it's a great time to play and socialize!). In training, he follows commands, not even a hair of shyness. When the helpers come in with the loud whip, the other young dogs look, back away - and of course some act like normal GSD/Malinois and want to lunge. Bongo looks, then looks to my expression. We he sees I do nothing, he goes to the helper (who has met before), and looks for play - or to cuddle! He will bite the burlap, and hang on, because he knows I want him to, or maybe because he wants to play - but you can clearly see, he sees NO threat. He is very quick with "Aus!"

However, on another day, I was alone with Bongo on the beach - no other people there, or so I thought. I was on my cell phone, and bent over looking for something in my bag while walking. A lone, unfamiliar man (who i didn't see) approached us quickly from behind a dune. Bongo let out the most fierce bark and growl - it startled even me coming from my sweet boy! The man stopped, Bongo never moved his gaze, tail straight up, no sign of backing away. I greeted the man, and when Bongo knew it was okay and I knew the situation and took control, he let the man pet him, rub him, and even laid on his back after about 3 minutes for the man - no tension, no problem. They are so quick to recognize what is real!