View Single Post
Old 07-07-2011, 23:31   #4
Vicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunas Mom View Post
I totally agree that NO DOG should be selected just because of the way they look. The same thing happens with other breeds - not just vlcaks - where the buyers like the "look" of a dog but do not take the time to research what they are really about.
I just think it is unfair to say it is "wrong" to be attracted to the looks of a vlcak - that is part of the package - part of their beauty. Part of their mystique.
I don't think anyone ever meant it that way. I think they were just talking about how it shouldn't be the ONLY factor in choosing the breed. If I remember correctly, that thread was about the possible mixes in some lines? And it was said, what does it matter if the dog is a mix if all you were looking for was a wolfy looking dog, right? (Sorry, sometimes it's hard to keep ALL of this info straight!) But anyway, if that's the case, it's a matter of breed integrity, you should want the breed because of the predictable temperament as much as the look of the dog. You shouldn't say to hell with it, and throw the dogs' function right out the window, just because you don't give a crap about it.