View Single Post
Old 28-07-2010, 21:15   #10
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak

I have done agility (dogs were much better than their handler!) and now schutzhund with my dogs - I think my experiences have been similar to those described above. Lots of interest in the first 20-30 minutes, food is an excellent motivation, toys a little bit less so, but still a good motivator. My dogs are reliable - they will almost always follow commands, each and every time - but not with the same "passion" as a GSD or Malinois in SchH or a BC in agility. I think the funniest experiences are in the warm weather that we have where I live. After a short time, my CSVs will give me a look as they lazily follow commands like "are you a crazy woman? why must we play these games in this heat? it's much better for us to lie under that shady tree..." It doesn't happen this way in cool weather - and the other breeds seem as though they will be passionate until they drop of heat exhaustion...the only difference is in scent detection work. My dogs are always passionate about that.