View Single Post
Old 28-01-2004, 14:51   #6
Conor

Quote:
Since years there are rich hunters from other countries, especially Germany, that payed for being allowed to hunt wolves, and it looks like this kind of hunting even reached the national parks the last years. It seems there are no restrictions for people that are willing to pay enough.
There should be a season when wolves hunt the rich hunters. I am sure the hunters would find it just as invigorating, and the challenge of avoiding an intelligent predator would be far more stimulating and gratifying than the challenge of blowing the brains out of an unsuspecting animal from half a mile away! The pleasure of the ultimate goal - that of having a snap shot taken with a dead dog at your feet - eludes me. But then again,I am not a rich,powerful or influential man. Thank God.

It is a sick paradox that those with the power (the wealthy, the influential, or the social elite) can rape and deface the rural environment, and tag it as the noble, historical need to 'hunt' in order to survive. If we choose to apply the similarly pre-programmed urge to destroy our urban environment, by graffiti for example, or wrecking the bus stop, we are delinquent vandals. If they do it, they are hunters! Ha! I think you could argue that graffiti is simply an urban manifestation of our repressed urge for territorial marking, and so it's evolutionary origin (and hence it's biological compulsion) makes it just as valid an act as 'hunting'. There should be a season for it, when we can all dawb our walls with paint and marker pen. We have an equal right to express our biological imperatives as do the hunters,don't we?

The truth is this - wolves hunt, humans kill.

Conor.
Conor jest offline   Reply With Quote