View Single Post
Old 24-03-2010, 16:17   #27
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak

The biggest thing with AKC recognition is that it is the only US club that FCI reciprocates with. As an owner, this means little. It has a slightly different meaning for breeders. FCI doesn't recognize the FSS. I had several inquiries from Mexico and South America (all FCI countries) about puppies - for these countries, it means if they imported a CSV that was American bred, they couldn't register it. I do believe there is a roundabout way to register through the Puerto Rican Kennel Club (FCI), so maybe that would be a possibility.

Other than that...UKC offers more working titles (no tracking though, grrr), and they are generally more challenging. No professional handlers - only owners/breeders are supposed to handle, so not quite as much politics. AKC is an outdated system that is not responsive or effective in meeting the changes that have evolved in cynology - it's faced bankruptcy several times.

As for AKC accuracy, this is one of my favorite clauses from the FSS FAQ page:

Q: Do I need import papers to record my foreign-born rare breed?

If your foreign-born rare breed is registered with an acceptable foreign registry, the registry papers, your three-generation pedigree and the completed FSSĀ® application with two photos of the dog should be forwarded to the AKC with the appropriate fee for review.

Dogs with two-generation pedigrees, one-generation pedigrees or names of sire and dam only, are eligible for enrollment in FSSĀ® as the foundation stock of future generations.

Does this mean no pedigree?

Marcy