Thread: Tamaskan Dogs..
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 23:12   #27
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak

In the USA (where we certainly have Tamaskans), a wolfdog/hybrid is considered anything <F5. These are the guidelines from the American Humane Society, who heavily influence our animal laws. Many states take it a step further - if the owner represents the dog as a hybrid to an official (vet, animal control, police officer, etc.) , it can be confiscated, or even worse, if it bites someone, it can be euthanized to have it's head tested for rabies. There is one case I can recall in my state where a 100% dog (didn't look anything like a wolf even!) was put down because the owner bragged to his vet that he had a wolfdog...he later said it was only a lie to impress friends, but it didn't save the poor dog.

Further, the behaviors one can expect from a wolfdog, or methods to use to train it or house it are often different or modified from what we use in regular dogs - not to be passed to an inexperienced owner looking only for a simple companion. I think it is important as an owner to know what is there in a dog...whether it be husky, wolf, CSV or otherwise - until a consistent level of recognized homogenity conformed to a standard can be reached.

Last edited by GalomyOak; 08-07-2010 at 23:16.
GalomyOak jest offline   Reply With Quote