View Single Post
Old 07-07-2011, 23:45   #115
Vicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunas Mom View Post
Our initial hope was to place him in a performance/show home which would require he be kept intact. So far, the "Saarloos mix" accusations have not been confirmed, and I would still place him on a co-own contract, intact. Just because a dog is in a home intact does not mean he will be bred.
Taking in the whole thread, I don't think the criticism is so much for placing him intact as it was placing him with THAT particular home, intact. He obviously wasn't meant to be shown if he went with the man in CA, and I have to also disagree with the idea that it would be fine to breed Pollux as part of a working film dog line. The whole point of organizations breeding their own lines of dogs for work (at least, in my opinion) is to get the best quality possible, by having complete control of breeding. If this is the case, and you're breeding dogs for film, why would you sabotage yourself by starting out with stock that is known to be shy? Regardless of whether the shyness was caused by breeding or by Pollux's early start in life, I personally wouldn't want to take that chance if temperament was going to be such a crucial factor in the dogs I hoped to produce. Honestly, if the man backed out of taking Pollux, I wouldn't be surprised if the shyness issues were part of the reason. Like I said, you'd want to give yourself the best start possible, just like starting any breeding program.

I know I already said it, but I really, really wish we were in a position to help you out with Pollux! For our next dog, I really wanted one I could get more involved with in regards to training goals, and working with him would be exactly the sort of thing I'd be looking for. I swear, if I weren't about to drop a baby in the next few weeks, you might have to deal with me bugging you about him more!

Regardless of what happens, good luck finding him a good home. There's a reason the wrangler didn't work out, there's obviously a better home for Pollux out there somewhere.