View Single Post
Old 22-04-2010, 23:15   #4
Gypsy Wolf

Raw is definitely not for me - not enough scientific studies on it - all of the preaching is anecdotal, and based on poor science. I also personally know several large and giant breed folks who have tried it and have had developmental issues - higher incidences of displaysia in formerly strong lines.
I don't feed puppy formulas due to the risk of Pano. I just don't want to take the risk. Too many large and giant breed friends of mine have had historical problems with it.
I mix TOTW with Royal Canin GSD formula - I don't like Orijen due to it's high protein content - higher protein has been linked to developmental issues in puppies, too, as well as the Cal-Phos ratio.
I am considering trying Royal Canin's GSD puppy formula (new to the market) and a Newfie breeder friend of mine swears by Royal Canin's Large Breed Puppy Digest & Osteo formula (has to be specially ordered though it is not a prescription diet) to start off her pups and follows up with Canidae ALS. She has not had Pano issues with this regimen.
I don't give any weight-bearing bones chicken bones - chicken necks and backs are pretty meaty and the bones scale their teeth better than any other raw pieces - that's the main reason I give it - poor man's dentistry!
The beef soup bones are not terribly meaty - the dogs eat the tissue covering the bone and the marrow inside. Once that is all done, I wash the bones, stuff them with peanut butter and freeze them for a "pupsicle" treat. Squeeze cheeze is good for that, too.
Here is south FL, another favorite is Pedialyte ice cubes to keep them hydrated.
Gypsy Wolf jest offline   Reply With Quote