Thread: In season...
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2009, 12:33   #17
michaelundinaeichhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildenmorgen View Post
I think I got some answers from reading this post...

But...just to clarify, since I think things maybe different with this breed than other dogs, I'd like to hear some experiences and thoughts from people with experience

1. What seems to be typical for a CSV - coming into heat once a year, or twice a year...or every 8 months?
mostly 8-12 month

Quote:
2. How long is a typical heat cycle in a CSV?
It depends in my experience very much on a male dog in the family that is seen as a potential partner by the bitch. Then it is the normal 2,5-3 weeks. When there is none it can go over weeks without any pathological reasons. Saschias bitch was succesfully mated so obviously everything was physiological

Quote:
3. Are heat cycles affected by temperature/climate?
Not very much more by other bitches in heat

Quote:
4. In other breeds, it is considered bad to breed during the first heat, but other breeds also come into heat much earlier (I think...my oldest CSV is 16 months, and still has not had hers...). Is it considered safe to breed with a first or second heat cycle with the CSV?
I think you shouldn´t breed before they are fully grown, as some bitches don´t come into heat before they are 2-2,5 years old there is no reason not to mate them in their first heat then. I wouldn´t breed before the age of 2 depending on the bitch, she will be a better mother when she is adult. Our younger bitches always have been nannies of the puppies of the older ones and have had the opportunity to learn and all dogs care for the puppies of the actual litter I don´t think it is a good idea to mate them too early and without experience, the puppies learn very much of their mother and familiy, the mother has to be matured for being a full potential mother.

Quote:
6. Is there a "normal" time between the first signs of bleeding, and when the female CSV will accept a male?
Our bitches are in this period around the 14th (Bschka) to the 20th day (Amy)

Ina
michaelundinaeichhorn jest offline   Reply With Quote