View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009, 08:57   #1
Iz__

Default Questions about my Saarloos Wolfdog

Hi. new here.
I recently saved a Saarloos wolfdog from an animal shelter. (fastforward/longstory) Actually I saved two(brothers). I found a home for them both(seperate homes unfortunately), but one family said they could not keep him because he was apparently too much for them to handle. He bit the kids and the neighbor got bit and had to get stitches. Well, the police got involoved and had to take the dog to the vet kennel and they were about to euthanize him. He's only 9 months old, so I had no choice but to take him back. So, Once again I have him. I'll probably end up having to find a new house (if I don't find a more suitable owner within another week or so), because the reason I couldn't keep him in the first place was because my house was too small and I only have about a couple square meters of yard.
OK, so I calmed him down a bit and he listens to me fairly well (sits, shakes, lay down, roll over), an improvement at least from where he was with the other family, and he really is a sweet boy. I really don't see how he could bite anyone. but that's not my problem. My problem with him is his peeing.
I'll walk him for 45 mins at LEAST 3 times a day, and he hardly ever pees. He waits to get home and pees in the house. And he always pees when he gets too excited. if Lobo(his name) and I are inside relaxing and my brother gets home, Lobo just pees when he sees him. And not just my brother. When anyone comes to him he gets too excited and just pees.
He's fine with the pooping. he poops outside just fine. the peeing is the only problem.
I've tried crate training him, but he doesn't seem to mind peeing on himself and he gets even more excited when I get home and let him out; he just bolts out of the crate and starts peeing everywhere.
Any suggestions?
Any help at ALL would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Iz.
Iz__ jest offline   Reply With Quote