Thread: Utonagan
View Single Post
Old 26-01-2006, 14:33   #36
Mosi

Send a message via AIM to Mosi Send a message via MSN to Mosi

Quote:
What concerns me greatly is that wolf crosses etc are sold to people that don't know what they are getting. I have a good idea that utonagan are bringing in wolves and calling their pedigrees other names.

My wolf dog can't go for walks where he may meet other dogs, he would attack cattle if he could get off the lead, he has killed cats, he would knock down the door if he wanted to be in.
He also sleeps on my bed, sits on the setee at night watching TV, opens the door whilst I am in the bath etc etc.

a. It is up to PEOPLE to research, even though I do not condone the Back Yard Breeding of such animals, A well researched owner thus would not buy such an animal as they would know better.

b. It is in the Utonagan standard that wolves should not be used in breeding, if such animal is used the animal is not a Utonagan - this is a problem however as the Utonagan is underdeveloped and un standardised, much like the Labradoodles or Cockerpoos, brought from the lovely USA. (lets get off that topic *rolls eyes*)
If a breeder uses wolves then, the Utonagan Society should make a statement or likewise.

c. Any breed of any dog may be vicious, I have known in my time some of the most hideously badly behaved Border Collie X Bearded Collies, so 2 breeds regarded as usual family loving dogs - these dogs as a result of bad ownership and training are dangerous to extremes. (One incident where one dog had its jaw wrapped lovingly around my Skull. not nice.)

" He also sleeps on my bed, sits on the setee at night watching TV, opens the door whilst I am in the bath etc etc."

Well quite simply.
that is your OWN issue and problem,
If YOU let your dog be the Boss and Alpha he will naturally assume the position if YOU are the Boss and are the Alpha over him this will effectivly erradicate this behaviour.

He acts like this because your letting him.
Dont let him in future I once knew a Pit Bull breeder (online) who even though she trusted her dogs with her own, and childrens lives would NEVER EVER EVER let them sleep on her bed. This could make the dogs territorial and attack even the family that they love to hold a position and hirachy.

DOGS have their places
PEOPLE have their places

dont confuse the two, dont let the dog EVER be the boss of you.

good luck with your dog.

I personally advise Behaviour and Training Classes by a proffesional in your case.
Mosi jest offline   Reply With Quote