View Single Post
Old 24-03-2010, 15:45   #26
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari

Quote:
Originally Posted by draggar View Post
Does UKC have working titles, too?
Oh for SURE!!! The UKC is known as the 'working' kennel club..There are a million working titles. Last time I looked at one of our dog's UKC pedigree, there was a list of what the title abbreviations meant.. there was a whole gigantic long list. Here are a few:

Hunting - Treeing, baying, etc etc, Dock Jumping, Conformation, Agility, Obedience.. when I get home I can check my list again. There were numerous titles within the basic categories.

I know the AKC recently opened up titles to all dogs - even mixes - save conformation. So no, you do not have to be registered.

EDIT:

From the UKC site:

The programs at UKC include Obedience Trials, Agility Trials, Weight Pull Events, Terrier Races, Dock Jumping Events, Total Junior Program, Dog Sports (including Family Obedience), Coonhound Field Trials, Water Races, Nite Hunts and Bench Shows, Hunt Tests for retrieving breeds, Pointing Dog Events, Beagle Events (including Hunts and Bench Shows, and Cur and Feist Squirrel and Coon Events and Bench Shows.

Rounding out the 'Total Dog' package, UKC Conformation Events are among our largest growing events. UKC dog shows are family events designed by and for the breeder-owner-handler. Professional Handlers are not eligible to exhibit dogs for others at UKC Conformation Events. At UKC dog shows, the emphasis is on the DOG, not the SHOW.

Part of our mission is to have events where all dogs can compete. In addition to our purebred dog registry, United Kennel Club offers a Limited Privilege program. The Limited Privilege is open to all dogs that are spayed/neutered. This includes mixed breed dogs, purebred dogs of unknown pedigree, and purebred dogs with disqualifying faults as described in the UKC breed standards. The programs open to Limited Privilege dogs are Obedience Trials, Weight Pulls, Agility Trials, Total Junior Program and Dog Sports (including Family Obedience).

And lastly, I know that in the United Schutzhund Club of America (the largest org in the US) also accepts mixes to compete, so based on that I would venture to say your dog does not have to be KC registered.

Last edited by yukidomari; 24-03-2010 at 15:53.
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote