View Single Post
Old 23-04-2007, 19:17   #7
Huan

Send a message via Skype™ to Huan Send Message via Gadu Gadu to Huan

Really strange comparision. I don't know what does sleddog breeds as Siberian husky or Alaskan Malamute have to do with Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs. Don't you see the prefixes Siberia or Alaska? It's obvious these breeds are not used to higher temperatures and 16 C appears reasonable for them. That is why the Czechoslovakian wolfdog shouldn't be long-haired with large undercoat during summer. We do not own arctic breeds but a breed which is versatile in his uses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanninadina
And please don´t tell me, wolves are able to run 100 km per Night
I can tell you they can run for much longer distances as 190km.

Sorry but after watching many wolfdogs I can tell that ANY typical Czechoslovakian Wolfdog which didn't spend all his life sleeping on a coatch or sitting in a kennel should be able to run for 40km in the time under 4 hours. Even if the conditions are not optimal. This looks different for 100km and this one is a real endurance test where a wolfdog without training can have serious problems (mostly with the paws). Please look at purposes of CzW and sleddogs:
- sleddogs should run in winter pulling the sledge
- CzWs should be endurable in ANY conditions; it's not an exception when a tracking dog has to work a whole day in a sun going after someone (I mean real tracking and not silly sport tracking)

However this is not a "run or die" thing as you try to present it. Every 10-20km there is a check on every wolfdog when they control paws and any dog showing exhaustion or with wounds are not allowed to run futher.

But I have to say that I'm missing this exam in a lot of dogs that work in Czech Republic. I saw some CzWs doing nice protection work but moving like molosses - even judges laughted saying that this dog will never reach the last point of revieur . The 40km run should be obligatory for any wolfdogs because soon the CzWs running for 100km will be only a myth!

I see that again we're moving on different levels. When I was speaking about working dogs I didn't meant dogs that do "sit" or "down" but the ones that get ZVV/SchH/IPO 2-3. The same is about endurance. For me a running for 40km with a wolfdog in a winter is not endurance test.

I know that such endurance can be for you unimaginable but this is a feature which make typical CzWs such unique between other dog breeds. I know that for SV people a run of 20km is a really hard endurance test for German Shepherd Dogs but for CzWs is nothing else than a walk. Balrog did on Sunday 70km in 5 hours and 30 minutes that means 20 minutes before limit for excellent note and the last few kilometeres he was still able to run for 15-16km/h. On the finish he DIDN'T fall down in exhaustion. He started to play with our CzWs and showing his high tail to other male woldogs And I'm sure that during such weather he would be able to run for the next 30km and get SVP3- after all he had a reserve of 4:30 hours to do the last 30km. But we couldn't do this because of regulations (first he has to pass SVP2 in order to start in SVP3).