View Single Post
Old 21-05-2011, 16:01   #32
draggar

In the USA we're calling them "Czechoslovakian Vlcaks". I think in the UK they call them "Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs".

Here in the USA when you say "wolfdog" people automatically assume it's a hybrid (odd though that "wolfhound" is OK?). Hybrids have a very bad reputation due to a ton of misinformation and lack of education. (But I'm sure some of it is earned from poor breeders and owners, too).

Also, Luna is 9 generations from that vlcak, there is one generation past him but I'm not sure if they're GSDs, Carpathians, or vlcaks. Luna is a 9th generation progeny of the project.

Think of this - 9 generations over 50 years, that's about 5 1/2 years in between generations on average. Considering she is a first generation American we can assume these 9 generations aren't "Americanized" breedings (breed many for looks). So I think it is safe to assume that either the breeders in Luna's lineage took their time to research and bred to dogs that produced well. I highly doubt any dogs were first bred at that age so the breeders were able to see what worked and what didn't and by the time Luna's ancestors were born they had it fined tuned pretty well.
draggar jest offline   Reply With Quote