View Single Post
Old 26-12-2003, 18:19   #5
z Peronówki
VIP Member

Send a message via MSN to z Peronówki Send a message via Skype™ to z Peronówki
Default Re: working dog ? I hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navarre
Barking for our seems to be not a problem....
You mean barking on command or barking during the protection work?
In the first case it looks horrible: most CzW see no sence to bark without any good reason. (I fully agree with them.... ) And learn them to do it is long and hard work.

In the second case: barking during the protection work is not a bigger problem. OK, sometimes you will meet a very resistant dog (like our Merry Bell ) - she never makes any bigger noise. We own also a GSD-mix which is barking whole day so I must say I like this characteristic of Bell very much but we have a hard work to do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navarre
but aport is a weird thing! At our home he brings back EVERYTHING we launch at him....but at the training field he seems another dog , watching our launches with interrogative expression
I know it. Here you need to use the obedience instead of playing with the dog. Only then you can be sure he will aport in every situation. For a long time people said: it's almost impossible to learn a CzW to aport. Last year only ONE CzW among ten did the aport during the exams in Lazne Belohrad. But the people also learn. And with better knowledge about training the dogs they also come to a conclusion: "it is possible if you know how to do it". And this year only ONE dog among 10 making the ZOP exam get 0 point for aport....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margot
wurstel,meat,chicken...sometimes play. The key seems to vary the motivations. constriction don't function at all with our CSW. We are training him for IPO 1.
I fully agree with you. "Diversity" of the motivations is one of the main ways to have a nice working CzW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margot
but there are some csw working as sheperd dog ? In too many CSW we look a prey instinct very very strong...
It is strong but you can control it. But it depend on the way of socialization and upbringing the dog. If you get the CzW used to animals and if you will forbid him to catch animals you will get a friendly CzW. There are many CzW living with cats, birds, horses, a.s.o. We have also 4 cats (they hate only Bolton ). We have a small herd of goats. I already used Merry Bell to graze them - it was working and it was funny. But I will not call Merry a shepherd dog - for this work you need special training and the dog should grow up among the herd. Merry Bell is just a Sunday shepherd...

'Z PERONÓWKI'
FACEBOOK GROUP
z Peronówki jest offline   Reply With Quote