View Single Post
Old 02-12-2011, 20:21   #18
AMERICANI

Send a message via Yahoo to AMERICANI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky View Post
What you need to understand to see where he's (wrongly) coming from, is that he got his start in a grooming shop. What you have to do in a situation like that (limited time, a need to get the work done no matter what) is vastly different than what an owner should do at home. Like you said, it does absolutely nothing to work at the root cause of the problem. People saw Cesar had a knack for it, so with ZERO actual education, he starts training dogs. I'm sorry, but I'm a groomer, I am 100% confident in my own abilities as a trainer with my own pets, but I'm not about to go teaching people without getting training for myself first! We expect a certain level of education in our "experts" that we trust, but just because Cesar has a flashy, quick method, people spout it as gosspal without questioning it.

Jason, as far as other methods go, Cesar is just pushing the dog WAY too fast. You don't need to "dominate" a dog, quite the contrary, actually. Especially a dog that is already shy, it just makes it worse. People that follow dominance based training always mention wolves, but the fact that you CAN push a dog down, so to speak, and they still come back wanting to please is a trait they developed as they domesticated. The village dogs that hung around despite abuse are the ones that got the most scraps and survived to breed.

You need to work to establish trust with a dog like that before bringing it to a situation where it might react. You have no need to dodge teeth when you can easily avoid what brought the dog to that threshold to begin with.

Here's an article that talks about why dominance theory is antiquated:
http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/iss..._yJC0.facebook
I agree with you guys - thanks Vicky (for the link) I agree 100% with everything said in that article, but perhaps my definition of dominance and being Alpha wasn't "textbook". I was in the Navy for 14 years.. Never in that time was one of my seniors or officers aggressive or violent. However, they were dominant and they were leaders. Leadership, perhaps, is what most people confuse with dominance.. So when I say I am dominant, I mean "in charge" perhaps we shouldn't use Alpha because that leads us astray and into the realm of being integrated into the CANINE pack - we are a pack, just multi-species... I am confident (example given: ) when I take my dogs to this park where we hike in the woods and go to the Lake Worth spillway, my dogs wiil stay within sight of me and follow back to the car and get in when we are finished. They aren't afraid of violent repercussions if they don't. It is just respect.. On the same note, the one I actually face problems with personally, and the one that proves we aren't dogs (if we need proof), My animals are all well behaved, but the females (and males) want to kill each-other, regardless of what I do alone to stop a fight (I have successfully took a pair of females and a pair of males together (I had help at the time, and I used the "dominant down" for aggression, eventually achieved a state of peace ( I took them to the lake together without fights), but there still remained a measure of tension between the two. They did not fully enjoy the setting near as much as they should have (or would being paired with a different dog). I have to keep them separated, and I hate it.. They matured and stopped getting along.

My earlier post was focused on that particular dog in the video. It was already to the point that it needed fixing then and there. You saw Cesar's arm.. those weren't love nibbles (yet, they weren't at all the worst bite)..

Last edited by AMERICANI; 02-12-2011 at 20:34. Reason: poor grammar
AMERICANI jest offline   Reply With Quote