Thread: Working Kennels
View Single Post
Old 13-05-2010, 17:20   #24
Gypsy Wolf

Hanka, if I can find a place to stay as a guest, I am sure I can find the money for a plane ticket - I would LOVE to watch the flashy, sharp vlcaks doing incredible sportwork and learn more about the breed and teaching them (note that I said "teaching" rather than "training")...
Rona, to me "work" can mean both "sport" or "real-life" - "work" to me, means any venue in which a vlcak needs to use it's skills, talent and training. So "work" can mean Schutzhund sport, man-trailing, water rescue, agility... all of those are "jobs" for the vlcak and handler, so it is "work."
I am sure that every vlcak has it's own preferences.
My own dogs have shown me that - my GSD and my Malinois are not particularly interested in playing the "game" of Schutzhund, though both have proven they are excellent in real-life protection situations as well as trailing (without having trained for that!).
So if my Luna doesn't find Schutzhund to her liking as she matures, I will find the venue she prefers and work in that. Schutzhund is a fun sport but it isn't the ultimate breed-worthiness tool in my opinion.
As an aside, one of the GSD puppies I produced in my first (and only, so far) litter, CHOSE the sport of Schutzhund as her preferred interest, and her handlers got so into the sport they have now added a Malinois to their home and are training to be serious competitors on a National (and perhaps World) level with them. Prior to getting the puppy, they didn't even know what Schutzhund was!
Gypsy Wolf jest offline   Reply With Quote