Thread: Puppy prices
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2010, 14:38   #12
saschia

Send a message via Skype™ to saschia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morian View Post
back to the prices. i would ask 1000 eur for my pup (but i don't breed) if i went to slovakian male for example and paid for gas (~1600 km x 2), visa, mating cost, hotel etc., if i paid for tests, if i fed my bitch good, if i spent money for training etc., finally shows, yes...
You see, I do most of these things and yet I usually don't get the full value. So that's why I ask the full value at least from people who live in countries where the salaries are better than here. And those are the same people who sometimes buy wolfdog puppies, not better than mine for three times as much as I ask.

Maybe I should ask more?

Just for comparison - what I have to give to get the litter:
1) buy wolfdog bitch
2) feed good food, vaccinate, keep healthy
- ok, everybody does these. What more?
3) go to youth presentation, bonitation, SVP, two shows - each around 200-300 km trip
4) go for X-ray and send the images for evaluation
4b) pray for good results ;o)
5a) measure progesterone levels for good timing - didn't do this year, lost 1000 km trip due to that
5b) go for mating (this year it was two trips 500 km each and 4 trips 200 km each, as she did not get pregnant the first time)
6a) go for echo to verify pregnancy (to adjust the food - my bitch gets false pregnancy so I cannot go by her behaviour only)
6b) anything wrong during pregnancy - go to vet, buy medicines, go for echo to control if everything goes OK
7) whelping, care for puppies, feeding the bitch and the pups with obscene amounts of food ;o)
8 ) socialize pups, take for trips, bring visitors
9) give deworming treatments to pups
10) tattoo (+ chips for export)
11) vaccinations (+ Pet Passport)
12) control from the club - pay the membership fees, pay the breeding advisor's trip
13) pedigrees (Export pedigrees for foreigners - cost more)

If I did this all for profit (or to stay at least not too far in red numbers) - I would have to export most of my pups, or sell to the 5% of Slovaks with EU-comparable income. Or maybe produce so many pups that I get the large-volume discounts for everything.
saschia jest offline   Reply With Quote