View Single Post
Old 14-02-2010, 05:34   #4
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak

That puppy is going primarily as a companion, and he seems like a very nice person (I will meet him in person when he flies out here next weekend); I'd imagine once everyone is settled, he'd be fine with you visiting.

My tracking club suggested "Tracking from the Ground Up" (Susan Boyd, I think?) as a book to get started - it was very helpful, but you have to keep in mind (for distances, especially at the beginning) that the authors specialized in Shelties. You use "food drops" - hot dog - at intervals in the beginning for motivation, gradually these are phased out. It's amazing how dogs "get it". Tracking is...like meditation. If you can find a good club even better, trackers are some of the coolest, most down to earth people ever - they - we - really enjoy nature and the elements.

Good luck!
Marcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky View Post
Marcy, that's so awesome that you're getting into tracking! That's actually what I was looking up when I was on the site. I was thinking I would want to get into tracking in the future when we eventually are in a position to own a CSV, and I realized that it would be a good activity for our dog NOW! He's a husky that we rescued, so although we can't get him fully registered with the AKC, we can get him put on another listing that would let him compete. Now I just need to find a tracking club out here!

Since you're already training your dogs, do you have any advice on where to start? I'm kind of at a loss at how you'd initially get a dog to start following a particular scent or trail. I've seen there are books on the subject, are there any you would recommend?

Also, that's very exciting about one of your babies! Think down the line they'd let me visit? haha Do you know if they're planning on working/showing their dog or not?