View Single Post
Old 15-07-2002, 08:18   #8
Mirkawolf

Send a message via ICQ to Mirkawolf Send a message via Skype™ to Mirkawolf
Default Please help

Hello everybody,

i have read this mailing list, and i must say it seems to me little bit crazy.
There is absolutely no difference between wolf and dog, because they both have the same genetic potencial.
Thus, every dog if it runs away into wild and survives, may be teoretically able to threaten the wolf population.
Of course, chances to do it differs according to the breed, such chihuahua, chow-chow or shar-pei are hardly
able to survive outside, than if escapes shepherd or malamute.
Please note that if dog escapes into wildnerness, it automatically doesn=B4t mean it will go to see the first
wolf pack and easily joins it! Most probably the wolves will kill the dog, or avoid it, and they won=B4t let it to enter
the pack. It=B4s absolutely the same as if some renegade wolf would come and want to join the pack. It would have
to face the alpha male of the pack and win, and with a dog, this chance is quite low.
There can be exceptions of course, but the chance the dog will meet weak and sick alpha male, or even lonely
wolf female willing to form a pack with a dog, is truly small.
And after all, who is able to proove, that the wolf population is absolutely clear and free of any "dog pollution"?
Wolves migrate and they can cross even among themselves, within the so called subspecies, so there is no
real chance to say, that this wolf is pure wolf and this wolf is not.
If there is any wolf threatened by pollution, it is red wolf living in USA, who is almost extinct and was forced to
mate with coyotes, because it was almost impossible for two species of red wolf to meet in the wild. Now,
people are not sure, if to consider the wolf for wolf or hybrid or whatever. But it were again people, who created
the whole problem, killing the red wolves and bring them to edge of extinction.
I would like to know, if in USA, in areas where still live wild mustangs, are all ranchers and owners of horses forced
to castrate them, so that in case of their escape they don=B4t threaten the mustang population?!
I find this study as absolutely stupid, and the whole idea with making a law even worse. Seems in summer
people have nothing better to do than create stupid ideas from nothing and trying to make them work.

Mirka Simunkova
ZOO Plzen (http://www.zooplzen.cz)

owner of Cira Krivoklatsky Atos (http://www.dogomania.com/members/cira/)
Mirkawolf jest offline   Reply With Quote