View Single Post
Old 21-04-2007, 09:07   #19
Liesbeth

Hi,

I must admit that I do not dislike the dogs with longer hair. But I think you have to keep in mind that it is 'dangerous' to breed with the 'long-hair' lines, because it is (like Margo said) a recessive gene. Before you know it, the 'long-hair-gene' is everywhere in the population! I think, as a breeder, you have to be very carefull when you choose a combination of dogs to breed with. The chances that you'll breed puppies with long hair, even when this is not your intention, will become higher and higher if we keep using the lines that carry the 'long-hair-gene' as it is used now. I must admit that I like Miky and Induk, and I like the exterior of the Italian lines, but please, be carefull. They are used very much in the breeding program of the Italian breeders and their sons and daughters are used very often for breeding to. Dogs of those Italian lines come to France and other European countries... they are used very much here (when for example a male is imported, he is used by many breeders. Probably because they think like 'fresh blood' or 'blood of good, Italian bloodlines with good results'). So the 'long-hair-gene', which is invisible, starts to spread over the whole population. And then, maybe in 10 years, allmost every litter will caunt one or two (maybe more!) puppies with long hair! I think that many people (even breeders) do not know exactly how this process of bringing a recessive gene into the population works. Margo apparently does know how fast this goes and she understands how dangerous this can be for the breed. We do not have very much different bloodlines (all Csv are practically brothers and sisters), so we have to be very carefull with the blood we have... When we will SEE the problem, it is to late. And then we can't fix it anymore. And then we can not say: we don't use those lines anymore (or only in combination with dogs who are 100% short-hair), because then it will be to late. Please, don't let it come this far. Why not search a solution NOW?
So I agree with Margo that this isn't 'just a small difference in exterior - nothing to worry about'. Once the gene for long hair is spread over the population, it will be IMPOSSIBLE to 'remove' it again...

Greetings,

Liesbeth
Liesbeth jest offline   Reply With Quote