Thread: Tamaskan Dogs..
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2010, 04:27   #7
Vicky

I think the issue (the way I see it) is less of "wolf blood" (although that's what you hear) and more about temperament. The foundation of these dogs, from what I understand, are dogs with very watered-down drive, so the goal is a nice, even tempered, family dog that's easy to train and manage. Since the CsV is so "close" to wolves, and since they're bred with work/sport more in mind, they have a much higher drive and a rougher personality to deal with. In short, the Tamaskans should be "easy" dogs to own where CsVs take a lot of work and dedication. Learning about both breeds, this is the reason I've settled on the CsV as being the dog in my future. I personally feel dogs should be bred, and especially new breeds should only be created, for a real working function, or preservation of a past function. The Tamaskans (from my point of view) are the equivalent of watering down a breed for show, only these people are doing so deliberately to make a good house pet instead of it just being a byproduct of the show ring. (Honestly, don't see the point, there are plenty of perfectly good pet dogs around, no need to make more! But I digress...)

In addition to that, it's the flat out lying about it that should get people riled up! It doesn't help in the slightest to establish a "breed" based on falsified pedigrees!

Oh, & editing to add that as a Sibe person the breed does bother me a bit, but only because they're using Sibes to breed dogs without working function, not because of looking "wolfy"! Tamaskans are using the "wolfy" appearance as a marketing gimmick, really. Sibes & Mals are functional working dogs that happen to look "wolfy". Big difference! And honestly, if the breed were to become popular, I'd breath a little sigh of relief, because a Tamaskan would make a MUCH better housepet than a Sibe, and all too often people wanting a "wolfy" dog will run out to the first BYB Sibe breeder they can find. It's sad seeing so many dogs wind up in shelters or worse because people picking dogs just for "wolfy" appearance don't know what they're getting in to, and get in way over their heads.

Last edited by Vicky; 02-07-2010 at 04:33.