View Single Post
Old 01-04-2005, 20:45   #19
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpup
There's no new breed being introduced here, so my expectations should be well-contained. This is not to mean as a desperate attempt to revive a totally-lost breed, for there are still good GSDs around if you spend more time to find them.
I'm really trying to follow your reasoning, but find it a bit hard CzW is a young, but well-established breed. CzWs do not look like GSDs but more wofish and they also share specific features of character, temperament, etc. Poeple who have GSDs and CzWs at home are amazed at the differences between these two breeds. By cross-breeding them one will definitely be producing a mixed- breed dogs (mongrels) with characteristics difficult to predict.

Quote:
Nothing to lose any which way.
CzW carry about 25-30% wolf's blood. Wolves are shy, independent and difficult do train. Even now, after 60 years of selection some CzWs develop these features inherited from their ancestors.. Although they are great working dogs, they aren't easy to train, and need special training programmes. On the other hand, they are healthy and full of energy.
GSD are less healthy, less vigorous, but easy to train, not shy, dependent on their master and obedient.
When mixing them without scientific approach and/or good luck, theoretically you might get a very independent mix, afraid of humans, with hip displasia, difficult to train... reactions of which would be diffucult to predict.

Quote:
Well, who knows I might just do that. Only I'm not that kind who will abandon a good friend just because he's rotting away.
You must have misunderstood me. I had in mind the options of mixing CzW with GSD OR buying a pure CZW pup. The first option seem to me much more risky and even dangerous since the results are very difficult to anticipate.

As you mentioned above, there are still great GSDs available and probably by mixing the super- GSD , free of dispalsia, by selecting the work-loving dogs for further development of the breed, etc. would probably be a better alternative than risky genetic experiments with CzW

It would interesting to learn what do other people think...
Best regards
Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote