View Single Post
Old 25-02-2005, 20:24   #26
Per Olav

Send a message via MSN to Per Olav

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligerwolve
Hi all, look I dont live in a country where wolves live so Im not an expert. But is it or isnt it true that wolves have an effect on the enviroment and that removing them could mean disasterous results.
I'm not an expert, and I don't know if any of us are. It's a fact that for approx 200 yrs the wolf have have not been seen in the Norwegian woods. The farmers and those others living in the area claim that reintroducing the wolf into the fauna has created a new situation. A new carnivore is harvesting the farmers income and is thratening the peoples qualitiy of life.

Quote:
No one has a right to upset the whole balance, because there is no way to tell what will happen. perhaps a plague of mice that will kill the live stock? It happened here. And further more, farmers have coexisted with wolves before, how many breeds of dog exist for this reason.
From the farmes point of view the balance is upset by reintroducing the wolf. The wolf has been absent for approx 200 yrs, and the way of living is quite different nowadays.

Quote:
The farmers are being lazy and selfish. Besides as we can all see, killing a wolf can make things much worse. just look what will happen now a pack is missing one. We have had problems here with plague animals and any behaviourist will tell you shooting is not the answer. There can be no positive outcome from this, its only a quick fix solution.
What do you mean by lazy and selfish? What do you know about Norwegian farming? What is selfish about caring for ones lifestock?

Regarding the rest of your statement: Yes it is a shame that the Norwegian Government decided to kill the wolves, in particular the Alpha female astray from her pack. The reactions from the great majority is condemning this deed.