View Single Post
Old 02-11-2011, 21:36   #23
saschia

Send a message via Skype™ to saschia

Yeah, they have a sense of property all right. Everything I want belongs to ME! That is the basic attitude. They know where is their pack headquarters, but that does not mean they will not try to roam around if they manage to escape and decide it is fun. They will guard their territory, which means they will bark at all dogs they are not friend with, and look suspiciously at people. They will let them in, but once they grow up, they'll not let them out.

With children they can be great - but they need to grow up near them - to know from puppyhood that that is something fragile. Of course, when a wolfdog is mature it will also be able to accomodate with children, the hardest is with adolescent wolfdogs who do not have child in the family and only meet them in streets (my Frei was long just too enthusiastic to play with them, so I had to be careful).

And last thing - young wolfdog needs a lot of time. It will not be better if you try to compensate for lack of it by giving it another wolfdog to play with. It does not need your time because it needs to play (it can play by itself a lot - destroying mostly) but it needs your time to be socialized, to be brought up and taught what is OK and what is forbidden.

I completely understand your desire to get a puppy or two. But if you want to be happy, you really should consider if you are doing the right thing. And really, even if you get a puppy (and I wish you good luck with that), I really thing better idea for a playmate would be a cat. They can be good friends (I know quite a lot wolfdogs that have cat friends), but do not support each other in doing wrongs and most of all, cat does not need so much of your attention as a second puppy does.

Good luck from me too!
saschia jest offline   Reply With Quote