Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Breeding

Breeding Information about breeding, selection, litters....

Old 15-04-2010, 03:02   #1
Gypsy Wolf

Default Looking for a nice Male CsV pup to import

Hi all,
I am looking for a nice male CsV puppy to import to the US. My best friend, a professional dog trainer, has fallen in love with the breed, and has asked me to find her a nice male. She is looking for something to work in Schutzhund, as well as show in conformation and something that would be excellent breeding stock, as we have so few dogs in this country.
Her intent is to train and title this dog and compete on a National level here in the US.
She is looking for a drivey temperament (she has Belgian Malinois) and superior structure, and wants to import it at no older than 8 weeks old. She is also eager to get something soon, as she is worried I will beat her to titling a CsV first... Price is something of a concern, as the economy here isn't the best.
Look forward to any suggestions, etc...
Gypsy Wolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 07:16   #2
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunas Mom View Post
Hi all,
I am looking for a nice male CsV puppy to import to the US. My best friend, a professional dog trainer, has fallen in love with the breed, and has asked me to find her a nice male. She is looking for something to work in Schutzhund, as well as show in conformation and something that would be excellent breeding stock, as we have so few dogs in this country.
Her intent is to train and title this dog and compete on a National level here in the US.
She is looking for a drivey temperament (she has Belgian Malinois) and superior structure, and wants to import it at no older than 8 weeks old. She is also eager to get something soon, as she is worried I will beat her to titling a CsV first... Price is something of a concern, as the economy here isn't the best.
Look forward to any suggestions, etc...
You're showing a very open "American" approach here, but I doubt this is the best one if you want to get a pup you want from a European breeder (not a business person ) at a reasonable price. ... Just a cultural difference

Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 10:00   #3
soniakanavle

Send a message via AIM to soniakanavle

Hello Lunas Mom.
First off, let me apologize if my message gets a bit generic, it's just some points I think all first time buyers should review.
If your friend is really truely interested in the breed, I think she could stand to wait and do a bit more research as opposed to just 'find me a dog asap.' It sounds like Luna has been her introduction to the breed, and though, I'm sure she's learning what she can about the breed now, it's a bit early to know if it's the right breed for her. Have her join the forum and get stories and advice from other owners and breeders before she comits to getting one just cause she likes the looks of yours. Maybe wait til she sees what Luna turns into?? ]
Then when she's READY, have her contact [through private phone/email etc.] specific kennels she's interested in personally, and talk about bloodlines, temperments, breeding rights and price that way. I'm sure most European breeders will agree with me that's the proper way to go about it right??
You don't want to end up with the first cheapest male you can find, especially, as you pointed out, we have so few dogs in this country. [If she wants to breed. Yikes.] Also if she's interested in showing, make sure the dog is registered with an international canine registry that the UKC/AKC accepts. Also a good tip is to make sure you get the pedigree in paper in hand asap. If they can't guarantee it, WAIT. [I found out the hard way and now I can't register my dog with the FSS or UKC because there's no paperwork. ]

Quote:
She is also eager to get something soon, as she is worried I will beat her to titling a CsV first... Price is something of a concern, as the economy here isn't the best.
This quote worries me.
I don't think someones motivation to get a CsV is to 'beat you to the punch' of titling their dog. [Even if you meant it as a joke.] As a dog trainer I'm sure she knows the lifetime of commitment that comes with ANY breed, but I'm sure most CsV owners will tell you it's a bit more crazy than just that.
Also, price shouldn't be too much of an issue. I know times are hard here but if she can't afford importing a dog and be absolutely sure that she can support it for 15+ years, maybe now's not the right time to add another dog.
I spent [and am STILL spending] a lot of money on my boy, and I traveled to another country to meet the breeders and pick him up, and he was well worth every cent of it.

All I'm saying is have her do her research and don't just jump on the first puppy out there that she can afford.
soniakanavle jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 11:32   #4
draggar

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniakanavle View Post
This quote worries me.
I don't think someones motivation to get a CsV is to 'beat you to the punch' of titling their dog.
QFT.

I said something very similar to her when she mentioned it to me. IMO this is the wrong reason to get a dog.
draggar jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 15:59   #5
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari

Just my two cents, but financial reasons asides, is she willing to travel? Lots of kennels want to meet you in person. For a relatively new breed, I'd think for your best shot at good conformation, behavior, and breeding stock, you should at least wait until the dog's preliminary bonitation outcome if those three things are of utmost importance. Very few things are certain at 8 weeks old, whether or not the pup won't wash out of SchH isn't certain even given good working lines.
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 17:58   #6
Gypsy Wolf

<grin> Yes, posting on a forum is a pretty "American" approach! I know I did things a little differently when I was looking for a CsV, but I also figured that this particular forum is populated by pretty dedicated folks, and in other breed-specific forums, it is not uncommon to give a "shout-out" when one is asking who might have a litter on the ground. I am involved in the FInnish Spitz breed, and because there are so few in this country (like the CsV), we have a lot of inquiries, but not that many litters, so breeders frequently post to see if anyone else might have something available.
After having met Luna, she has been doing a lot of research on her own, and her dog experience is pretty vast - she has trained and titled dogs on a National level - high in trials, even been invited to Japan for a couple of months to travel around and lecture on dog training and competition. So I am not concerned with the fact that Luna is her only experience with a CsV.
Once she has made a commitment to a breed, she is very loyal. Part of her interest in the breed is similar to mine - to get in "on the ground floor" as it were and make sure that this breed is successfully maintained in this country. In her research on the breed, she was quite taken with their beauty and intelligence as well as their working ability.
Her biggest concern is that she has no knowledge of or connection with anyone in the Vlcak community. So, as I have been researching them for almost 2 years now and I am on the forum, etc., she felt that I would be better at finding her a good pup. In German Shepherds, for instance, it is personal connections that get you a good import.
So I will go back to some of the breeders I made contact with in my original search, and see what we can find.
I do apologize to any of those folks who thought my "American approach" was a bit overboard. <grin> For those who know me personally, I can be VERY enthusiastic...
Old 15-04-2010, 18:11   #7
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Send a message via Skype™ to Vaiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniakanavle View Post
Hello Lunas Mom.
Very wise post
A CsV is FIRST a personality one has to comunicate eye to eye, a friend, a family member. Only then a show lion, a great working dog or a beauty to show your friends or co-citizens I know, this suits to every breed, but CsV - especially

Vaiva jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 18:13   #8
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Send a message via Skype™ to Vaiva

Quote:
After having met Luna, she has been doing a lot of research on her own, and her dog experience is pretty vast - she has trained and titled dogs on a National level - high in trials, even been invited to Japan for a couple of months to travel around and lecture on dog training and competition. So I am not concerned with the fact that Luna is her only experience with a CsV.
Once she has made a commitment to a breed, she is very loyal. Part of her interest in the breed is similar to mine - to get in "on the ground floor" as it were and make sure that this breed is successfully maintained in this country. In her research on the breed, she was quite taken with their beauty and intelligence as well as their working ability.
Her biggest concern is that she has no knowledge of or connection with anyone in the Vlcak community. So, as I have been researching them for almost 2 years now and I am on the forum, etc., she felt that I would be better at finding her a good pup. In German Shepherds, for instance, it is personal connections that get you a good import.
So I will go back to some of the breeders I made contact with in my original search, and see what we can find.
I do apologize to any of those folks who thought my "American approach" was a bit overboard. <grin> For those who know me personally, I can be VERY enthusiastic...
Ok... so... where is she? We would all be glad to meet an other enthusiast of the breed in this forum

Vaiva jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 18:16   #9
Gypsy Wolf

Thank you! I think of the CsV as a "force of nature" - they are not like any other breed I have ever worked with. I think that is the attraction - it's like living with a tornado.
Old 15-04-2010, 18:19   #10
Gypsy Wolf

Her name is Siobhan Reilly Mullally. She is not very computer-savvy, and not any lists or forums - she barely knows how to email, though I was surprised she did get on to Facebook. I'll see if I can walk her through getting on the forum to say hi.
Old 08-05-2010, 14:57   #11
lupis

Quote:
Hi all,
If you look for good puppy you must contact breeders and speak with them. If you post here such advertising only puppy dealers and people breeding for money will contact you to sell their "products". No good breeder will offer puppy to you.
lupis jest offline   Reply With Quote