Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Wolves and wolfdogs

Wolves and wolfdogs All about animals similar to CzW... Information about other Wolfdogs: Saarloos Wolfhound, Lupo Italiano...

Old 03-01-2011, 09:39   #20
michaelundinaeichhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunas Mom View Post
nor would I collect a wolf into my environment without properly preparing for the best, most enriched, life able to be provided.
The problem stays the same: One wolf, what life would be able to be provided. I don´t expect land in Florida and even more important fences much cheaper than in Germany. The costs for the wolf enclosure here have been around 200 000 $, as far as I remember only the fence.
Quote:
My desire to keep, interact with and study a real wolf in a captive environment is to try to see how and where the wild behaviors were either suppressed or exploited due to human intervention. I am not interested in keeping an animal for my own personal pleasure, but more for personal study - the desire to see what the "base" animal of our domesticated dog is really like - that's why I am NOT interested in any hybrid. I want to see the intelligence, reasoning capabilty, natural aptitudes really are in our dogs' ancestor.
But this research has already been done in the past and is going on at the moment. In your country one of the names is Ray Coppinger, though he is more in dogs but they do this studies at his institute and they also did those studies on Coyotes.
So if you want to do all this again with one wolf it is for your own pleasure and nothing else.
Quote:
I am glad my comments brought about such discussion - my first step will likely be to volunteer at a wolf refuge at some point, before I decide to actually take on one for myself.
As far as I can oversee the situation this is the best way to go in your country as there are a lot of private raised wolves in refuges or shelters.
Better to study them there or get two of one of those places than buying one from a so called breeder.

And as Sashia already wrote you will still not see the original type of wolf from over at least 15 000 years ago.

Ina
michaelundinaeichhorn jest offline   Reply With Quote