Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Meetings and travels

Meetings and travels Huge and small - oficial and private... How and where travel with your CzW...

Old 01-09-2011, 02:33   #1
hedeon

Default Pet travel rules in UK from 1 January 2012

Pet travel rules in UK from 1 January 2012

For pets that are in quarantine when the rules change on 1 January 2012, provided the animal meets the new EU entry controls, they should be eligible for release from quarantine without having to complete the current quarantine period of 6 months.

From the 1 January 2012 all pet dogs, cats and ferrets (including guide and hearing dogs) can enter or re-enter the UK without quarantine provided they meet the rules of the scheme, which will be different depending on the country or territory the pet is coming from.

Animals which do not meet all the rules must be licensed into quarantine. They might then be able to obtain early release if they can be shown to comply with the necessary pet travel requirements.

What you need to do if you are entering the UK from the EU and listed non-EU countries

Preparing your dog, cat or ferret

Step 1 – Have your pet microchipped – Before any of the other procedures for pet travel are carried out, your pet must be fitted with a microchip so it can be properly identified.
Step 2 – Have your pet vaccinated– After the microchip has been fitted your pet must be vaccinated against rabies. There is no exemption to this requirement, even if your pet has a current rabies vaccination. Rabies boosters must be kept up to date. The length of the waiting period before entry to the UK is 21 days after the first vaccination date. A waiting period is not required for subsequent entries into the UK, provided rabies boosters are kept up to date. If the vaccination is in two parts the 21 day wait will be from the date of the second vaccination.
Step 3 – Get pet travel documentation – For animals being prepared in an EU country, you should get an EU pet passport. If you are preparing your animal in a non-EU listed country or territory you will need to obtain an official third country veterinary certificate although note that Croatia, Gibraltar, Norway, San Marino and Switzerland are also issuing passports.
Step 4 – Tapeworm treatment – We expect the European Commission to shortly come forward with proposals to allow UK to still require pets to be treated against tapeworms. There will be no mandatory requirement for tick treatment.
Step 5 – Arrange for your animal to travel with an approved transport company on an authorised route – Your pet must enter the UK from a listed country or territory travelling with an approved transport company on an authorised route.

What you need to do if you are entering the UK from unlisted non-EU countries

Preparing your dog, cat or ferret

Step 1 – Have your pet microchipped – Before any of the other procedures for pet travel are carried out, your pet must be fitted with a microchip so it can be properly identified.
Step 2 – Have your pet vaccinated – After the microchip has been fitted your pet must be vaccinated against rabies. There is no exemption to this requirement, even if your pet has a current rabies vaccination. Rabies boosters must be kept up to date.
Step 3 – Arrange a blood test – After your pet has been vaccinated, it must be blood tested to make sure the vaccine has given it a satisfactory level of protection against rabies. The blood sample must be taken at least 30 days after vaccination. The length of the waiting period before entry to the UK is three calendar months from the date your vet took the blood sample which led to a satisfactory test result. The three month waiting period will not apply if your pet was vaccinated and blood tested in the EU and issued with an EU pet passport before it went to an unlisted country
Step 4 – Get pet travel documentation –You will need to obtain an official third country veterinary.
Step 5 – Tapeworm treatment – We expect the European Commission to shortly come forward with proposals to allows the UK to still require pets to be treated against tapeworms. There will be no mandatory requirement for tick treatment.
Step 6 – Arrange for your animal to travel with an approved transport company on an authorised route – Your pet must enter the UK with an approved transport company on an authorised route.

Last edited by hedeon; 01-09-2011 at 11:12.
hedeon jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:14   #2
Nebulosa

Send a message via ICQ to Nebulosa Send a message via MSN to Nebulosa Send a message via Skype™ to Nebulosa

Suppose I will send a dog to UK, i'm in an non-EU country and "non rabies free country" (though we haven't rabies for over 20 years at south, where I live), those 3 months waiting period are done with the dog in my country, with my pack or in an specific place?
Old 01-09-2011, 07:01   #3
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari

It's a three month time waiting period, doesn't matter where. It's a shortened incubation waiting period..it used to be 180 days.
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:00   #4
saschia

Send a message via Skype™ to saschia

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedeon View Post
Step 5 – Arrange for your animal to travel with an approved transport company on an authorised route – Your pet must enter the UK from a listed country or territory travelling with an approved transport company on an authorised route.
What if I travel by car for example, or by train or other means where the dog travels with me? Do I have to have it transported by an approved transport company anyway?
saschia jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:05   #5
hedeon

Well, I think it would be the best to direct all of you to original page of DEFRA site, where you can find much more info and explanations.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pet...ners/#from1jan
Old 01-09-2011, 10:08   #6
hedeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebulosa View Post
Suppose I will send a dog to UK, i'm in an non-EU country and "non rabies free country" (though we haven't rabies for over 20 years at south, where I live), those 3 months waiting period are done with the dog in my country, with my pack or in an specific place?
In your place, dog is not being hold in by any agency or something. It stays with you, just hast to wait 3 months before he can come to Britain.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:02   #7
Shadowlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by saschia View Post
What if I travel by car for example, or by train or other means where the dog travels with me? Do I have to have it transported by an approved transport company anyway?
If you travel by car, as long as you use one of the established ferry companies or Eurostar, you will have no problems. Only thing you would need to know is that the dog (cat,ferret) must be treated for internal parasites and fleas not less than 24 hours and not later than 48 hours prior to entering the UK. For us, that would mean finding a vet somewhere in southern/mid Germany to do this (it must be administered by a vet and entered into the passport and stamped), taking an overnight break and then continuing on to the UK. A small complication, but at least it means I can travel home to the UK with my pets, should I wish.

PS Same goes for train, but you'd be on Eurostar that way (no other option!)
Shadowlands jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:43   #8
saschia

Send a message via Skype™ to saschia

Shadowlands, thanks for clearing up. I am glad about the changes - I would like to go to Scotland sometime and getting the blood test was quite a nuisance - the one lab licensed in Slovakia did not have a good reputation.
saschia jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:12   #9
hedeon

Yes!!!
Old 02-09-2011, 14:12   #10
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Send a message via Skype™ to Vaiva

These are really great news. Not only for puppies, but also for travelling

Vaiva jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 15:00   #11
happyfeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupacs2legs View Post
So we agree on one thing. 'Happyfeet' about encouraging understanding of the breed.

....Oh so now my Tupac is a cross is he...how convinient
I was referring to Tassle comment

however as your dog is from wolfzone a uk breeder of crossed/mixed aka MUTT dogs ..??

I dont ask you to agree with me your opinion is your own as a forum member I think I am right to share mine?

And worry that you are being encouraged to breed your dog by other members which really isnt the answer is it?

I have owned this breed for over 10 years and had my darling in the uk for pasted 3 years so I think I have an opinion to share same as you do?

Last edited by happyfeet; 11-09-2011 at 15:08.
happyfeet jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 00:36   #12
Baz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlands View Post
PS Same goes for train, but you'd be on Eurostar that way (no other option!)
Only eurostar don't allow pets on at all.
http://www.eurostar.com/UK/uk/leisur...avel_needs.jsp
Baz jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 00:53   #13
koboldine

Is it still policy that some breeds AND dogs which look-alike these breeds are forbidden to enter UK?
Because that's why I was affraid to travel to the UK with my Wolfdog...
Old 08-10-2011, 01:04   #14
tupacs2legs
rookie

Send a message via ICQ to tupacs2legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by koboldine View Post
Is it still policy that some breeds AND dogs which look-alike these breeds are forbidden to enter UK?
Because that's why I was affraid to travel to the UK with my Wolfdog...
Defra changed the laws regarding csv's and swh a while ago now,its perfectly legal to bring them here
tupacs2legs jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:54   #15
Shadowlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
Only eurostar don't allow pets on at all.
http://www.eurostar.com/UK/uk/leisur...avel_needs.jsp
Oops sorry everyone, I thought I had read on the DEFRA site that Eurostar was an accepted route - didn't check further - or maybe I just assumed it...
Shadowlands jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:09   #16
Baz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlands View Post
Oops sorry everyone, I thought I had read on the DEFRA site that Eurostar was an accepted route - didn't check further - or maybe I just assumed it...
Of course you can go through the Channel Tunnel with Eurotunnel, but in your car......
Baz jest offline   Reply With Quote