Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Breeding

Breeding Information about breeding, selection, litters....

Old 28-09-2011, 22:47   #41
Tassle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaidd View Post
I cannot see how anyone could believe it is a good thing to be buying a 'breed' and not know what has made it up??Inuits (British and Northern), Utes, British Wolfdogs....(and the things we are not allowed to mention)...are marketed by many as a breed (wrongly IMO)...to be unaware of what has gone in (so many people do not even seem to realise there is Sibe or Mal in there).
It is unfair on the people buying them IMO.

Sound farmiliar?
No? - you know what this breed is made up of - what you cannot know is the exact content of what is in the individual dog. Do you look at Manchester terriers if you are looking into Dobermans and ask how much of them are in the individual dogs? The CSV is a Breed of dog.....

Wither regards to the Inuit/ute x's etc, they are just that - a crossbreed. I cannot see how the 2 are comparable.

Last edited by Tassle; 28-09-2011 at 23:38.
Tassle jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 22:49   #42
happyfeet

Quote:
I cannot see how anyone could believe it is a good thing to be buying a 'breed' and not know what has made it up??Inuits (British and Northern), Utes, British Wolfdogs....(and the things we are not allowed to mention)...are marketed by many as a breed (wrongly IMO)...to be unaware of what has gone in (so many people do not even seem to realise there is Sibe or Mal in there).
It is unfair on the people buying them IMO.

Sound farmiliar?
Yes, I have read this post somewhere ! on another forum

I think its perhaps alright to find out what is in your crossed mutt but not acceptable to be interested in what makes up your pure wolfdog be it for fun or not!!

Last edited by happyfeet; 29-09-2011 at 09:39.
happyfeet jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 08:22   #43
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Send a message via Skype™ to Vaiva

Quote:
I cannot see how anyone could believe it is a good thing to be buying a 'breed' and not know what has made it up??
In this case it is not a "breed" it IS a breed. If you were buying dogo Argentino, would you like to know exactly what amount of boxer, great dane, pointer or bullterrier blood it contains? For some reason, I doubt.

You see, the problem is that many people want CsW just because they want a WOLF, and this is a really wrong reason. They first of all should want a working breed. Believe me, when you get phonecalls of people, interested in wolfdogs, and you ask WHY they want exactly this kind of dog, and you hear "because my soul is so close to a wolf", then you want to bite off your own head and throw it into a river... This is why people are not clapping hands about the questions about wolfblood - there are much more important questions to ask about this amazing breed first

Vaiva jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 08:24   #44
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaiva View Post
In this case it is not a "breed" it IS a breed. If you were buying dogo Argentino, would you like to know exactly what amount of boxer, great dane, pointer or bullterrier blood it contains? For some reason, I doubt.

You see, the problem is that many people want CsW just because they want a WOLF, and this is a really wrong reason. They first of all should want a working breed. Believe me, when you get phonecalls of people, interested in wolfdogs, and you ask WHY they want exactly this kind of dog, and you hear "because my soul is so close to a wolf", then you want to bite off your own head and throw it into a river... This is why people are not clapping hands about the questions about wolfblood - there are much more important questions to ask about this amazing breed first
Haha, seems like I just wrote same things as Tassle did before, anyway, worth repeating

Old 29-09-2011, 08:31   #45
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari

Exactly Vaiva ..I have other breeds and if there was a calculator how much of other breeds went into creating my individual dog, it would certainly be fun but I would take it as seriously and as meaningful as the online quizzes that purport to tell you "who your true love is" and "what nationality are you?"...

The 'information' you get from such silly online quizzes and calculations of 'blood' - any type - is totally meaningless and only meant for entertainment or for when you are bored. and again no breeder is thinking about these 'results' when making breeding choices...

if a person really wants to examine the breed origins, the answers are right there are in the pedigrees. Those are actually helpful in tracing lines, and probable characteristics.

Last edited by yukidomari; 29-09-2011 at 08:34.
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 08:37   #46
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukidomari View Post
Exactly Vaiva ..I have other breeds and if there was a calculator how much of other breeds went into creating my individual dog, it would certainly be fun but I would take it as seriously and as meaningful as the online quizzes that purport to tell you "who your true love is" and "what nationality are you?"...
So I can recomend a more interesting test than ones about wolfblood Here http://theoatmeal.com/quiz/plotting_eat

Still, when a new person on the forum asks about it, you can never be sure, he is not trying to look for a high content, not for exterior, character and health...

Old 29-09-2011, 10:53   #47
happyfeet

ok, lets put this to bed once and for all!

when I am out with my dogs many people ask what they are and i reply czechoslovakian wolfdogs the obvious next question is usually how come a wolf dog do they have wolf in them, I usually just smile and say yes originally they did but by the time i've explained a bit more they are glazed over and confused. Even my vet asked me if I knew of what % wolf genes would be left now? So I thought I'd ask on here, Ive followed the site a while but thought it was a valid ask!

Wether it be fun or not , I am so disturbed to find why one question is disected so much by 'wanna be ' experts!

From what you are saying, my dog is a german shepherd cross and the wolf part is of no importance?

Perhaps I should have just registered them as german shepherd crosses and then I wouldnt have had such problems bringing my pets with me to the UK.

oh wait I see that some 'member' already advises people to do this giving advise to a student who asked how to bring his dog with him?

Last edited by happyfeet; 29-09-2011 at 10:59.
Old 29-09-2011, 11:09   #48
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Quote:

when I am out with my dogs many people ask what they are and i reply czechoslovakian wolfdogs the obvious next question is usually how come a wolf dog do they have wolf in them, I usually just smile and say yes originally they did but by the time i've explained a bit more they are glazed over and confused. Even my vet asked me if I knew of what % wolf genes would be left now? So I thought I'd ask on here, Ive followed the site a while but thought it was a valid ask!

Wether it be fun or not , I am so disturbed to find why one question is disected so much by 'wanna be ' experts!

From what you are saying, my dog is a german shepherd cross and the wolf part is of no importance?

Perhaps I should have just registered them as german shepherd crosses and then I wouldnt have had such problems bringing my pets with me to the UK.

oh wait I see that some 'member' already advises people to do this giving advise to a student who asked how to bring his dog with him?
Before geting angry you should first try to find an old topic about it - that would make things more clear.
And maybe it is worth looking for certain wolfish features in character and exterior, in health and so on, not the percents, if you can not accept that you have a normal formed dog breed.

Old 29-09-2011, 11:15   #49
Tassle

Quote:

I thought you only had one? Your answer can be the same as you have had on here - it is a breed of Dog. Hmm....bit of an odd question for a vet to ask? You might hope they knew more about genetics!!

Certainly not a wanna be expert, but I am always interested in furthering my knowledge.

I don't think anyone has said that? But if you are going down the route you are, then maybe it might be worth looking what makes up a GSD as well...

Old 29-09-2011, 11:17   #50
happyfeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaiva View Post
Before geting angry you should first try to find an old topic about it - that would make things more clear.
And maybe it is worth looking for certain wolfish features in character and exterior, in health and so on, not the percents, if you can not accept that you have a normal formed dog breed.
Perhaps its a language barrier as I see no anger in my last post??
But if it gives you something to bitch about then feel free
Old 29-09-2011, 11:27   #51
Murph

To be fair I thought there was a air of suspicion towards Blaidd for asking a simple question.
Murph jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 11:29   #52
pixie

Quote:
Perhaps its a language barrier as I see no anger in my last post??
But if it gives you something to bitch about then feel free
That second line was'nt really helpful or needed
pixie jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 11:31   #53
Tassle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
To be fair I thought there was a air of suspicion towards Blaidd for asking a simple question.
Put it down to once bitten, twice shy......
Old 29-09-2011, 12:22   #54
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak

Lol, if you consider all dogs are a subspecies of wolf, then I own all 100% wolves. And of course, there are the theories that the GSD also has recent wolf crossings in it's creation. I prefer to fall back on the more complex answer of selection for type when answering outside people's mindless questions. And then I just let my (usually well-behaved) dogs speak for themselves.
Old 29-09-2011, 12:25   #55
happyfeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Put it down to once bitten, twice shy......

put it down to being purely rude

all UK owners should not be tarred with the same brush some of us care for our dogs,live with them and dont want them as breeding machines but as family pets and companions

and with 20 years experience of GSD and 10 years owning CsW in and out of the UK I think I have enough experience to form a comment and have an experienced opinion
Old 29-09-2011, 12:47   #56
Murph

GalomyOak...what do you mean by 'outside' people and mindless questions?!
Old 29-09-2011, 12:51   #57
Murph

Just how many poor UK owners are there?! Dont the major majority that show a genuine interest in the breed want a companion and a family pet?
I think it is important not to act on prejudgements
Old 29-09-2011, 13:37   #58
Tassle

Quote:

all UK owners should not be tarred with the same brush some of us care for our dogs,live with them and dont want them as breeding machines but as family pets and companions

and with 20 years experience of GSD and 10 years owning CsW in and out of the UK I think I have enough experience to form a comment and have an experienced opinion
Good for you - how much experience do you feel is needed to form an opinion then?
Will you only listen to people who have owned the breed longer than you?
Old 29-09-2011, 13:41   #59
Murph

why the bitchyness?!
Old 29-09-2011, 13:43   #60
pixie

Quote:

Hi Blaidd have you seen the thread on british kennel club recognition your views wouild be welcome
pixie jest offline   Reply With Quote