Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Sport & training

Sport & training Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs as working dogs - how to train, how to teach new elements, information about competitions and training seminars...

Old 11-04-2006, 10:03   #1
saschia

Send a message via Skype™ to saschia
Default Endurance runs as "working exams"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosi
Does anyone have any idea how many dogs are titled in Obedience? or Canine Good Citisen, that could be a factor in showing that the lovely czech isnt some wild monster.
in Czech republic and Slovakia, and also Poland, there are (or were) quite a few dogs with different exams. In italy they have some rescue exams. At least my bitch had A2 exam in agility, but I think there are also other CsV with agility exams which I don't know about. After all, the CsV is a working breed and the Slovak club (as a guarant of the breed) intends to keep it this way.
saschia jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 15:17   #2
Navarre
VIP Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Navarre

Quote:
Originally Posted by saschia
the Slovak club (as a guarant of the breed) intends to keep it this way.
Sure ? To me seems that they want a good running dog (like nordic dogs) but what about the caracter of a working dog you may understand from a so called"work exam" like the 40km ?
Old 11-04-2006, 15:39   #3
saschia

Send a message via Skype™ to saschia

In the opinion of the slovak club it is better to have a running exam - which requires except a good stamina also a cooperation with the handler as well as at least basic obedience training (you cannot run with inobedient wolfdog and not be drawn after every strange dog, cat, man, car atc...) than no exam at all. If agility or scenting is accepted as working exams, then why not endurance run?

Work is work - no matter what you get your dog to do, if it wouldn't do it without your instruction, it can be considered a work. Although, in my opinion, to really pass the exams (no matter) which, you yourself have to consider the thing not work but fun and also make it fun for the dog. An I can assure you, any dog consideres runnig freely much more fun than running two rounds of the same track along the bike, not able to sniff and jump and so on.

CsV is a working dog - it is not a sheperd, it is not a patrolling dog, it is not a rescue breed. It is universal. If FCI was able to accept the endurance run as a regular exam, why can't you? If you don't consider FCI competent enough in this regard, why do you expect DEFRA and ACK to consider it so?

I am sorry if my reply seems like a flame - it is not my intent. But we are trying to find ways to keep the breed from degenerating to soft animal and at the same time keep the breeding population high enough to be able to actually breed on it. And I don't like people discarding an exam if I think they actually haven't tried to pass it. Have you, Navarre?
saschia jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 16:47   #4
*myschievous*

Navarre,

I just had a look at your website, your dogs are gorgeous and you have taken some wonderful pictures of them. I really enjoyed looking at some of them
*myschievous* jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2006, 21:56   #5
Navarre
VIP Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Navarre

Quote:
If agility or scenting is accepted as working exams, then why not endurance run?
I'm curious : to become Slovac Champion a work exam is needed ?
By the way I think that with 40km you may test if a csw is healty, (although some young ill csw still can make it) but really not test his character...no joke, please! A cow or a sheep can make it too!

Quote:
If FCI was able to accept the endurance run as a regular exam, why can't you? If you don't consider FCI competent enough in this regard...
To became Int. ch. FCI requires 40km OR IPO 1 (with "good" note)...exactly the same thing !!!!!!!
You consider FCI competent in this case? Has it any sense?
I agree with you if they will require 40km AND IPO.

Quote:
And I don't like people discarding an exam if I think they actually haven't tried to pass it. Have you, Navarre?
In Italy no one has organized a 40km yet, but I'm really not interested in this exam.

sorry for big-offotpic