Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Living with a CzW....

Living with a CzW.... Stories as forewarnings for future owners.... everything about the character of Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs

Old 17-02-2011, 19:46   #21
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Send a message via Skype™ to Vaiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukidomari View Post
The other day I was at the dog-park and a lady asked me what kind of dog our CsV is, and what they were bred for?

I told her they were originally bred by the CS border patrol and she immediately said, "Those dogs are vicious".

Then she said, "Oh, but of course not YOUR dog.... he is nice.."
Well, I can understand her.. If she is from the former USSR... Czechoslovakia was also a communist country, so... Or survived nazis...
There is nothing glorious about the history of our breed. The people trying to escape former Czechoslovakia mostly weren't smuglers or criminals... I do not want to insult the creators of the breed, but at least in Lithuania there is nothing glorious about being a comunist army officer
Yesterday we were celebrating Lithuania's Independence Day (1918 year). When my grandpa (mother's father) was 16, in allready occupied Lithuania, some of his classmates on February 16th rised a Lithuanian flag in their class - all the classmates were takes to Siberia. My grandpa doesn't speak a lot about it, I just know, that on his eighteenth birthday he was too weak to stand up from his so called "bed" - and I am sure they were also protected by dogs. My fathers mother was one of the 9 children - only 3 of them left after the partisan war, and dogs were not on the side of partisans
Some time ago and old man in street said he knows similar dogs (I was with Brukne) - he was a 10 years old jewish boy, trying to "run away" (didn't ask from who, but we can all understand it), the dogs were told to catch him, but did not touch a child...
So her reaction is not strange at all...

Last edited by Vaiva; 17-02-2011 at 19:48.
Vaiva jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 20:00   #22
saschia

Send a message via Skype™ to saschia

Vaiva - yes, that's true, but that was not the breed, that were dogs, and the reason for the dogs to be like that were people. It's always the people in the end, whether the dog kills refugees, or bites a child on the patio.

I can understand no love for patrol dogs, or dog in general, if someone has bad experience.

But I really hate when people generalize to whole CSW population some random facts acquired from third-party experience on the first F generations.

And it is always breed character that is important for our relationship with that breed, not breed history. And even bad history can bring good character. I mean in wolfdogs we've got just what we like, although we might not like the first purpose.
saschia jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 20:15   #23
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari

Vaiva - Thanks for explaining your experience!

I too agree with Saschia that breeds are created to operate under human direction for human purposes and agendas, though, and especially of border patrol dogs, they are/were trained to react in specific manners that respond to their human handler's wishes.

But I can definitely understand the bad association especially if a person has been exposed to that kind of trauma.
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 20:52   #24
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Send a message via Skype™ to Vaiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by saschia View Post
Vaiva - yes, that's true, but that was not the breed, that were dogs, and the reason for the dogs to be like that were people. It's always the people in the end, whether the dog kills refugees, or bites a child on the patio.
Sure But as Yukidomari wrote - I simply explained why people react negatively to the fact the dogs were used for military purposes in comunist countries

Vaiva jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 21:22   #25
saschia

Send a message via Skype™ to saschia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaiva View Post
Sure But as Yukidomari wrote - I simply explained why people react negatively to the fact the dogs were used for military purposes in comunist countries
That, I don't dispute at all.
saschia jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 09:17   #26
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukidomari View Post
The other day I was at the dog-park and a lady asked me what kind of dog our CsV is, and what they were bred for?

I told her they were originally bred by the CS border patrol and she immediately said, "Those dogs are vicious".

Then she said, "Oh, but of course not YOUR dog.... he is nice.."
Funny; last year my husband's colleague from the Czech Rep. on seeing we have a vlcak commented: 'Oh, I see you have the unsuccessful result of the Czechoslovakian Army experiment!'
'Why unsuccessful?!' I protested.
'Well, they were designed to be blind "tracking/attacing machines" but in the end turned into loyal family dogs with their own brains'

Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 23:10   #27
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rona View Post
'Well, they were designed to be blind "tracking/attacing machines" but in the end turned into loyal family dogs with their own brains'
If that is how it is, I´m so so happy that the Czechoslovakian Army did fail

Best regards / Mikael