Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Health and nutrition

Health and nutrition How to feed a Wolfdog, information about dog food, how to vaccinate and what to do if the dog gets ill....

Old 05-05-2008, 21:03   #1
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak
Default Penn Hip method

A little off topic - but I am curious, in Europe, or elsewhere, is it common to use what we call in the US the "Penn Hip method" to test for HD? Does the FCI require a particular test? We generally test through the OFA at 2 years of age, but this testing is gaining in popularity here, and can offer results at 4 months of age.

http://www.pennhip.org/

Just curious!
GalomyOak jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:24   #2
michaelundinaeichhorn

It is not usually used but it has been published several times the last month or year. I think it will get more and more popular the next years.
michaelundinaeichhorn jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 22:23   #3
Rona
Distinguished Member

On recieving a CD with several X-ray pictures of my dog's joints, there was one, which the vet indicated as made by Pen Hip method.

Could somebody explain in simple words (without medical jargon ) what the difference between the classical method and the Pen Hip is?

Luckily Lorka's joints were OK on all photos, but I'm just curious: could the dog have different results if the joints were tested by different methods?

Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 22:55   #4
jmvdwiel

the penhip methode measures the laxity from the hips, so how much space you can make in the hip joint. and looks for deformations in the hip.

The 'normal' method only looks for deformations.

In holland you have to make the 'normal' hip xray, you do not have a real choice. And yes you can make the penhip in holland but it can not be evaluated officially in holland and I think the evaluation is done in the USA.
jmvdwiel jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 00:14   #5
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmvdwiel View Post
the penhip methode measures the laxity from the hips, so how much space you can make in the hip joint. and looks for deformations in the hip.

, now I understand

Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 02:27   #6
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rona View Post
, now I understand
There are some photos that describe the process on the website:
http://research.vet.upenn.edu/pennhi...5/Default.aspx
http://research.vet.upenn.edu/pennhi...2/Default.aspx

There are 3 sets of x-rays taken during an official PennHip evaluation - one set is identical to the ones (at least for OFA, I don't know about other countries) used in a normal, standard evaluation that is "judged". So if someone does decide to make a PennHip evaluation, the vet only needs to make an extra set of that film at the same time to submit to the normal registry for their country. PennHip also has a vet (or might be more than one) look for deformities in that view - if you look at a report, it will say if dog has "DJD" = degenerative joint disease = typically HD.

There is a special tool used in PennHip x-rays that extends, or pulls the joint out - showing the laxity/looseness of the tendon.

Yes, all films must be submitted to the University of Pennsylvania - where they use results in research. It also makes the controls and results more accurate - since it is required that owners allow the dog's results to be used in statistics for the breed, in addition to the training required of all vets taking the x-ray, and the numerical measurement.
Old 01-02-2010, 14:42   #7
elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmvdwiel

Quote:
, now I understand
I understood Norberg angle was a quantitative measure of passive laxity.
elf jest offline   Reply With Quote