Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Living with a CzW....

Living with a CzW.... Stories as forewarnings for future owners.... everything about the character of Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs

Old 13-02-2011, 11:14   #1
enomis52

Default CzW needs and characteristics

Hi all,
So, as we all know, each breed has certain needs and characteristics of its own. I'm trying to learn as much as possible about the CzW for when it finally DOES get to Australia, so I'm curious as to what sums up this breed in terms of its needs and character.
I really want to own one of these dogs one day. They are just beautiful. In the meantime I plan to learn as much as possible

...and continue watching youtube videos until I can actually see one myself lol
enomis52 jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 09:17   #2
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Send a message via Skype™ to Vaiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by enomis52 View Post
Hi all,
So, as we all know, each breed has certain needs and characteristics of its own. I'm trying to learn as much as possible about the CzW for when it finally DOES get to Australia, so I'm curious as to what sums up this breed in terms of its needs and character.
I really want to own one of these dogs one day. They are just beautiful. In the meantime I plan to learn as much as possible

...and continue watching youtube videos until I can actually see one myself lol
Emm, what exactly do you mean by "need and characteristics"? Space? Activities? Feeding? Something else?

Vaiva jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 11:32   #3
enomis52

Basically I am just asking what makes up a CzW's character (I am not talking about an individuals personality, but rather the breed as a whole!)

As far as the needs...
Maybe I'll use an example... Each breed was traditionally bred for a purpose eg. husky as a working (sledding) dog, labrador as a retriever. Some breeds are more independent than others, some have high energy and thus need more excersise than others. Each dog has a "drive" for their work which needs to filled in some way (In the way a sheep dog in a city courtyard yard might try to herd pigeons in the absence of sheep!!)
I am new to CzW's, so forgive me if I am mistaken, but this breed is classified as a working dog? (I assume this from the GSD in their genes). So how does the CzW compare to other breeds? Does it compare? What does it need to be mentally and emotionally content? Does this make sense?

I have read some information here and there on webpages, but I figure I will get the best information from those who already live with these dogs. I hope I have made myself a little clearer and not made it more confusing!
Old 14-02-2011, 23:37   #4
Murph

I hope there are lots of replies to this thread and everyone can contribute to define what is it that makes this breed 'different' than other breeds. Most information on czechs is the same repeated few sentences on all the various websites. I myself have visited breeders and met a few czechs but there is nothing like real-life experiences to give people a 'feel' for this breed
Murph jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 07:42   #5
Rona
Distinguished Member

If somebody wanted to answer your questions he would have to write a book.

I suggest you should first learn about the breed by reading the forum, and only then ask specific questions about things that are not clear or obvious.

When you learn more about vlckas I'm sure you'll understand the deeper sense of my advice

Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 09:51   #6
enomis52

Fair enough Rona, I guess I really didn't think about the amount of information I was actually asking for!

In that case can someone point me in the right direction? I tend to get side-tracked searching through forum posts...