Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Upbringing & character

Upbringing & character How to care for a puppy, how to socialize it, the most common problems with CzW, how to solve them....

Old 17-11-2004, 18:41   #1
Keeba

Default FEMALE PUPPY - very frightened

Hello people.

I am from Spain and this weekend I bought a female puppy of two months. The travel have been so long (about 9 hours by car), and the puppy arrive very frightened. Day by day, the puppy have been less frightened, and now it's seems more happy, but she doesn't eat suficient I think (I have to give her the eat with my hands if I want that she eat it).
And when we play she beats agressive.

I don't know so much how I have to learn my puppy to be a good dog. And I don't know so much about the diet.

Can anybody help me?
Keeba jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2004, 19:47   #2
Mirkawolf

Send a message via ICQ to Mirkawolf Send a message via Skype™ to Mirkawolf

Hi,

I can understand your trouble with the food. My Cira was the same as a little puppy, she didn´t want to eat. I did a big mistake, trying to convince her, playing around with her meat, feeding her from hand etc. It only made her spoiled and the whole thing was worse.
So my advice is, offer the food normally in a dog bowl, at least four times per day. Give the puppy ten minutes to eat it. If she doesn´t, take it away and try again at the next feeding time. Do not worry, if she doesn´t eat, even if it lasts a day. The dog is too smart to keep itself hungry, especially when offered tasty food (ie meat). She will start eat normally soon.
Oh and don´t forget for yourself, you have to eat first, even a cookie, then you offer the food to the dog. You are the alpha

I do not believe your puppy is aggressive. If she growls or bites when you play with her, it is a game. Wolfdog puppies are like that. Mine did the same. You have to make the rules, though. If she plays too hard, just ignore her and go away. She will soon realise, that rough manners mean end of game.

If she growls at you above her food, in her "place" or similar events, then you have to improve your alpha position over the puppy. But that would be for a long talk.

Mirka
Mirkawolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2004, 02:20   #3
Keeba

Thank you. I have eat some meat, and she had saw me eating it and she start to cry. Inmediatlly I have put her the dog food. She has eat some of this, but she prefers the meat. I don't know if she could be accustomed to eat meat, because I can't offer her the meat always.

Sorry about my english.

And thank you very much!
Old 18-11-2004, 13:44   #4
Mirkawolf

Ok, I can give you some hints about feeding the puppy. Basically, wolfdog is very native animal, and thus you should feed it "natural" food. That doesn´t mean only meat though.
For a puppy, you should feed for example:
- beef, chicken or even horse meat, fish meat
- chicken, beef or pork hearts
- liver, stomachs or maybe lungs (usually beef, chicken, pork)
- milk, white yoghurt, eggs, cheese, cottage cheese
- vegetable, pasta, oatmeal
- a large spoon of sunflower oil once a week into the food
- also you can feed chicken necks, pig tails and then pig ears and pig feet to add the puppy gelatine
- adds of vitamins and minerals are good too

You offer the food several times per day, everytime you can try something different. Doesn´t matter, if the dog gets one day meat and second day intestines, but the food must be variable. The meat, if comming from good source, offer raw. If you cook it, it destroys the vitamins and minerals.

Some people do offer dog food, in that case try at least to avoid can food and give super premium dry food, like Eukanuba, Eagle Pack, Royal Canin, Purina etc. The costs payed for a quality dry food pay back in the good shape of the dog. However, I still think natural meat is the best.

Mirka
Old 18-11-2004, 17:25   #5
Falco_crying_Wolf

Never ever feet raw pork meat!
There is a virus (Aujetzky) that can be transfered by it. It is quite rare but alway lethal!

Ina
Falco_crying_Wolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2004, 18:45   #6
Mirkawolf

I agree, raw pork meat can be dangerous. However, if I am speaking about feeding raw pig ears, pig tails or feet, then this kind of meat I normally buy in supermarkets. Which means it is tested and approved for human consumption and in that case it cannot do anything bad to the puppy

Mirka
Old 19-11-2004, 11:04   #7
saschia

Send a message via Skype™ to saschia

HI, Mirka mentioned sunflower oil, but you can try also olive oil, it's even richer in the proper fatty acids.
saschia jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2004, 12:25   #8
Falco_crying_Wolf

Pig meat for human consumption is normally not tested for Aujetzky, the virus is not dangerous for humans. It is quite unlikely that you find it in supermarket meat but could happen. Luckily the virus is not very resistend outside the animal so every kind of smoking, cooking or drying is enough for killing it, only really raw meat is dangerous. Toxoplasmosis can infekt dogs too.

Ina
Falco_crying_Wolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2004, 21:46   #9
z Peronówki
VIP Member

Send a message via MSN to z Peronówki Send a message via Skype™ to z Peronówki
Default Re: FEMALE PUPPY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeba
but she doesn't eat suficient I think (I have to give her the eat with my hands if I want that she eat it).
As already Mirka wrote - it is really no problem. Sure you have to pay attention and go to vet if it will really see as a serious problem. But usually the CzW puppies do not eat so much - much less then written on the etiquettes. And because they move a lot they look pretty slim. But it is good so - it is good for development and for hips: light dogs are much more healty than these too fat and too heavy....

Quote:
And when we play she beats agressive.
Here are different possible reasons - first problems with socialization: the puppy had not enough contact with other dogs and people and it was not able to learn that it is not allowed to bite hard. You have to learn her that you don't like when she does it.

The second reason can be milk teeth - Wolfdogs have much bigger teeth then other dog breeds. Expecially milk teeth are very sharp. The solution would be to give her bones and toys to bite instead of playing with hands...

'Z PERONÓWKI'
FACEBOOK GROUP
z Peronówki jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2004, 00:31   #10
natbot89

Send a message via AIM to natbot89

hello
another oil you can try is flaxseed. it is also good for people and horses too!

Keeba -
puedes darle un aceite de "flaxseed" y tambien es bueno para personas y caballos
natbot89 jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 15:17   #11
Keeba

Thanks a lot.

I give him eat for dog. I bouhgt it in vet. When she bits I say him that is incorrect and she stops bitting.

She is not agressive, she only were playing.

Thanks a lot for all!
Old 08-12-2004, 14:42   #12
Rona
Distinguished Member

How is your puppy doing now? What's her name? Did you manage to learn how to look after her?
Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 14:51   #13
Keeba

Hello, she seems to be nice, and now is learning to sit down, not to bit, etc etc.

I will educate her not to be a champion in events, I am teaching her only to be a good dog.

If somebody can explain me something about the education. I am doing all I think is good. And it seems to work right, but she is my first dog of this race. So I don't know a lot about the education of the czechoslovakian wolfdog.

Thanks
Old 11-12-2004, 18:48   #14
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Hello, she seems to be nice, and now is learning to sit down, not to bit, etc etc.

I will educate her not to be a champion in events, I am teaching her only to be a good dog.

If somebody can explain me something about the education. I am doing all I think is good. And it seems to work right, but she is my first dog of this race. So I don't know a lot about the education of the czechoslovakian wolfdog.
Why don't you read the articles on training and upbringing which you can find on this forum, on the left of the screen. There is plenty of information on what to do and what to avoid They might help you to understand better the special character of this breed. Good luck
Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2004, 20:23   #15
Danje

Hi Keeba,
I lived with a breeder in Germany for 7years and have 2 Wolfdogs, a female 8years, and a male 7years. During those 7years I was completely involved in breeding, raising, training and showing these dogs.
Like Rona said, try to educate yourself from the forum; however, if you have problems of any kind, you may contact me anytime about anything. Here's my e-mail addy: [email protected]

Have a good New Year and hug that baby of yours

Wulfin
Danje jest offline   Reply With Quote